Pocket Knives

Bill J

Bill
User
Does anyone make (or know someone who makes) nice, wood handle, pocket knives? I am looking for a welcome to the family present for my son-in-law who has a collection of them and would like to find something unique. I looked on Etsy and the choices are overwhelming plus I'd like to support someone locally if I can.

waitup

New User
Matt
I think there is someone on NC Hunt and Fish who makes them. I'll see if I can find a thread about it.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Not many people make handmade pocket knives.
Not many good wood handled production pocket knives.
Puma used to make a nice one and Case probably has a few.
Most others are plastic or bone.

Fixed blades are more common in wood handles.

ashley_phil

Phil Ashley
Corporate Member
This guy is local to CLT. not sure if he makes folding knives, like Mike said most of the custom knife makers make fixed blades.

http://doubledeucedesigns.com/

These are the only decent wood handle knives i know of on the market.

mdbuntyn

Matt
Staff member
Corporate Member
A potential option is to purchase a kit from Rockler or Woodcraft. Overall quality (blade and frame construction, for instance) won't be as good, but you'd be able to make a unique set of scales from something like ambrosia maple, or curly cherry, that would add a personal touch.

Jclrk

Jclrk
Corporate Member
Wood stabilizing support in charlotte sells blanks and shed life has molds to make handles if anyone would know who crafts them they would

rsb1

New User
Bob
You might give this fellow a call. Picture shows a knife I bought from him at a street fair in Pittsboro. Blade is recycled saw blade. Handle is quince. Nice guy. I think he said he lives between Pittsboro and Siler City, so not too far from Chapel Hill.
Tilley pocket knife.jpeg

Bill J

Bill
User
Thanks everyone - I found a nice, small knife (3 inch blade) on Etsy and ordered it but I have pointed out the Tilley knife to my lovely wife with significant hints for myself...

JimH

Jim
Corporate Member
Texas Knifemaker Supply - texasknife.com has kits where you supply the scales or you can buy it all and assemble it yourself.

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
Using quince for the knife scales is very unusual. How is the knife working out for you? I have seen articles where makers got old saw blades and cut out the knife blank. Wonder what the steel is?

Roy G

Bill J

Bill
User
Texas Knifemaker Supply - texasknife.com has kits where you supply the scales or you can buy it all and assemble it yourself.
Thanks - I just don't have time to do this myself. but may try one in the future!

rsb1

New User
Bob
Using quince for the knife scales is very unusual. How is the knife working out for you? I have seen articles where makers got old saw blades and cut out the knife blank. Wonder what the steel is?

Roy G
Well, it's such a nice knife that I have not used it a lot yet. But blade is very sharp, and opens, locks and closes well, and it feels good in-hand. I was a little surprised by the quince also, so did a little research. Apparently quince has a history in knife-making. Here's a link I found:

If I remember my conversation correctly, there is a decommissioned sawmill somewhere in the area, and the blade stock comes from there. Don't know anything about the steel beyond that.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I purchased one of the Opinel knives at Asheville Hardware - they are REALLY nice!

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Never been there myself but Sevierville, TN has been said to be one of the best places to go to look for knives. Many small - and large- knife and sporting goods outlets there.

Flute Maker

Mike
User
Well, it's such a nice knife that I have not used it a lot yet. But blade is very sharp, and opens, locks and closes well, and it feels good in-hand. I was a little surprised by the quince also, so did a little research. Apparently quince has a history in knife-making. Here's a link I found:

If I remember my conversation correctly, there is a decommissioned sawmill somewhere in the area, and the blade stock comes from there. Don't know anything about the steel beyond that.
I always like those Treebrand knives!. (Oh my Ill be wanting a new knife now I have a weakness for knives)

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Guys, this may sound sexist, but I believe it to be true: Knives and flashlights are to men what purses and shoes are to women - you always want a different one for every occasion, and you 'll NEVER throw the old ones away.....:D:D

Bill J

Bill
User
Guys, this may sound sexist, but I believe it to be true: Knives and flashlights are to men what purses and shoes are to women - you always want a different one for every occasion, and you 'll NEVER throw the old ones away.....:D:D
I have more of a problem with losing pocket knives -but I've never thrown one away.
By the way - Both my girls grew up having a small folding knife from the time they were old enough to trusted with one and now always carry one in their purse. Hence the "need to have a welcome to family" pocket knife.
Now flashlights, those are essential items and you can't have too many!

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors