PM 3520B or something bigger?

Status
Not open for further replies.

timf67

New User
Tim
Well I've been AWOL from the site for a while, but I am interested in getting folks opinions on what I should get for my next and last lathe. I won't say that money is not an object, but there isn't a lathe on the market that I have ruled out (except for the big Laguna Pinnacle). I keep coming back to the value of the PM 3520B and I think that it would do everything I need (mostly bowls, hollow forms, and some small spindle work). But I don't want to look back on the decision and regret it. I am very interested in the Robust American Beauty and the Stubby 750, but neither jumps out at me and says "I'm the one!"

Any PM 3520B owners out there who wish they had something bigger? Any robust or stubby owners that have opinions? Any advice and opinions would be great!

ashley_phil

Phil Ashley
Corporate Member
The 3520B is more than adequate. I'd also suggest you look at the Oneways and Vicmarcs.

The Vicmarc has a hollow form accessory is cast and mounts on the back with a concentric arm it's really incredible.

Woodman2k

Greg Bender
Corporate Member
Tim,
let's face it ,you could throw darts at pictures of what you mentioned and not go wrong regardless of what you hit. But lets be real ,if the Stubby and the Robust are in the conversation I'd buy the one I could sample and never regret it. Personally I like the sliding headstock on the Robust over the outboard capabilities of the Stubby.
Honestly ,I don't know how much really big stuff I would actually turn but the power, rigidity , and the stainless ways make me drool:wwink:
I know you can't make a bad decision at that level of lathe so I will just wish you lots of fun making the choice.
Greg

Nate Davey

New User
Nate
I'm looking at buying my "final" lathe. Right now the Robust is the winner due in part to the sliding headstock and the fact that it is made in America. As stated, at this level, you really can't go wrong. I'm also drooling over the VB36 by Hegner, but I'm going to need to hit the lottery for that one.

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
Always entertained by your disease and when it bites ... haha

While I doubt anyone could make a point that the PM 3520 is not enough lathe for 95% of us, if you are looking at ALL options I would put a big set of eyes on the Oneway. WHen I got my lathe (3520), I was torn between the 24" Oneway and the one I bought (well, traded services for it). I never regretted my decision, but I did fall in love with the Oneway setup when you buy all, and I mean all, of their accessories. It wasn't long after I arrived in Florida that I met a neighbor with EVERYTHING Oneway ... and I was drooling. Not only at the stainless steel bed on the lathe, but at the awesome way everything works together, and everything is beefier than you would expect and very high quality. In the end, I can see it being easy to dump 10k plus into a setup as such, but if you are in for the long haul ... and you have the money ... both of which I think are/do, then I'd be looking there for sure.

Just my two cents ....

Jim Kunzweiler

New User
Jim
I've owned a PM3520A for a long time, and while it more than serves my needs, I find I am not a fan of the moving headstock. It's just not machined well enough to keep its alignment with the tailstock and prevent machine vibration.
If I were to buy a lathe today I would go for a fixed headstock with outboard turning capabilities using a bed extension mounted firmly to the lathe. I have the PM outboard tool rest and find that even with it's mass (and it is heavy) it's still not sturdy enough.

Just my 2cents worth. Your results may vary.

timf67

New User
Tim
Well, I added the Oneway 2436 to my Pugh Matrix (a decision making aid) and it scored very well. So now there is another horse in the race! :confused_ I need to get my three top choices (Robust AB, Stubby 750, and Oneway 2436) in a room and try them out somehow... :eusa_thin

Charlie

Charlie
Corporate Member
Tim,
I have turned over 80 vases, etc. on my PM3520B, with the largest being 16 1/2" dia. x 31" high. Still not to the lathe's max. capacity of 20". I doubt if I will ever turn another large one. It was fun, but what to do with it after it is finished?
With that being said, if I were to replace the PM it would be with the Robust AB, w/3HP, 24" bed extension and tiltaway. At a retail of $8370 I will stay with my PM for a while (ie., when I get the bug).
I would prefer the Robust over Oneway because of the sliding headstock. I slide the headstock with every vase I turn. I "always" use a steady rest (one bad catch can ruin many hours of work), so outboard turning is not an option for me. Also, outboard turning requires greater access around the lathe, taking up valuable floor space.
Just my 2 cents.
Charlie

Joe Bradshaw

New User
Joe
Tim, if you ever get over to Raleigh, give me a call and you can try out my Oneway 2436. It is a great lathe. It will probably last me out.

timf67

New User
Tim
Re: PM 3520B or something bigger? - Decision Made!

Well, I ordered a Oneway 2436 yesterday! I will post pics in 4-6 weeks when it arrives. I wasn't originally considering a Oneway mostly because I didn't want the hassle of replacing my 1 1/4-8 threaded accessories. But considering the investment I was making the accessories became secondary. In the end, what threw Oneway over the top, was the service. I have heard only good things about their service, and 20 years from now they will likely still be around if I need parts - I couldn't say that for sure about the others I was considering. So it looks like I'll be in the market for Oneway stronghold chuck in the near future... :gar-Bi

flyrod444

New User
Jack
You have many years of smile in your future turning. I turn on a smaller Oneway and have no regrets for sure. I would recommend that you watch Hartville Tool for Oneway chucks. They are one of the few company's that put them on sale from time to time and over free shipping on orders over $100.00.
Happy turning,
Jack

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors