Plywood Storage: flat or on edge????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Travis

New User
Travis
I am looking for advice on storing sheet goods. I would rather store on edge for space savings and ease of access but it seems to warp over time. I noticed that it is shipped and stored at the lumber yard flat. Thanks.

Ken Weaver

New User
Ken Weaver
Depends on how long you plan on storing it before use. I built a sheet goods rack and have had some pieces for a year without any problem.

Attachments

• sheetgoods.JPG
    sheetgoods.JPG
    84.8 KB · Views: 311

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
Travis,

Also take a look at DL's gallery, he built an awesome system with rollers too. Steve Coles also has a tutorial on screws and lumber storage :lol: . Ken's looks like a great portable system, DL's is fixed. Flat is always best for sheet goods but rarel practical in a home shop. I've had more problems with thin goods than 3/4 so I usually try and keep them sandwiched. I plan to do a modified version of DL's that will hinge to the wall with a roller on the outboard end so I can keep it flat against the wall for storage.

Mark Anderson

New User
Mark
on edge is eaziest on my back, if you stand several scrap boards against the wall first to suport the sheet from bending you should not have any problems, even with the thinest sheets.

if storing flat on a concreat floor you should use stickkers under the stack to prevent moisture problems. another problem with storing flat is there are many idiots out there who will think nothing of waling across a sheet of cabinet grade oak or birch with dog poo on thier shoes.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I store mine on edge with a rack hinged to the wall. Takes up less space for me. Really haven't had any issues with it, and have stored sheets for well over a year.

NZAPP1

New User
Nick
chris99z71 said:
I never thought that I'd say this to another man, but Ken, you have a beautiful rack! :icon_thum
That because it is fresh and young

Not old and sagging

Attachments

• DSC00395.JPG
    DSC00395.JPG
    284.8 KB · Views: 283

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Steve D said:
Steve Coles also has a tutorial on screws and lumber storage :lol: . ........
I'm looking for a smilie with its tongue stuck out. Oh there it is.:neener:

It appears that I never showed a picture of the finished rack.

woodcart1.jpg

woodcart2.jpg

sapwood

New User
Roger
Oh man Steve! :eusa_naug

Not only showing off your completed rack, but flauting the Tormek, Rikon lathe, and an unopened Festool box :roll:

And is that sawdust beside the lathe :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:
Roger

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
Wow, we've managed to hijack this thread and slam our benefactor several times. Somebody's going to be due for a time out here. :lol:

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Travis said:
I am looking for advice on storing sheet goods. I would rather store on edge for space savings and ease of access but it seems to warp over time. I noticed that it is shipped and stored at the lumber yard flat. Thanks.
Sorry, I helped to hijack this thread.

So here's my serious response. Without a doubt storing flat is best, But it is impractical in my shop. If your shop has air conditioning in the summer, then warpege is not too bad.

Another thing seems to be the quality of the plywood. The baltic birch sheets cut in half you see in the second picture holds up real well. The BORG stuff warps pretty quick.

What I have done a few times is take the sheets I'm going to use and stack on the floor and cover with some bricks and/or other weighty items. Tum off the air conditioning, let it sit for 24 hours. Then turn the air conditioning up high for 48hrs and then back to normal. The warped sheets are now in pretty good shape

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I agree with Steve heavily on the BORG stuff warping. Some of the imported 3/4 ply warps in the back of my truck before I get it home.

M

McRabbet

My lumber rack has a section on the outside that is inclined toward the rack about 5° and has a base about 6" wide. There is a middle and upper support (1 x 6's) that keep sheet stock flat when placed in this section. I usually store a full 3/4" sheet first and then sandwich 1/2" or 1/4" stock between the outer full 3/4" sheet(s) -- then cutoffs go on the outside of that to the rack capacity. I can rough cut sheets with a circular saw and straightedge by pulling them out the end as needed and support the cutoff on a piece of 4x4 scrap. Sheets never warp in this configuration.

Travis

New User
Travis
Thanks for all the respones. Looks like an easy way to move heavy sheet goods around. Now I guess I will have to build one. So many projects such little time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS