Plyboo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bernhard

Bernhard
User
Folks,

Has anyone out there heard of, seen or even used Plyboo? Plyboo is plywood manufactured from bamboo. In the latest Fine Homebuilding 'Kitchen and Bath' issue, there is an article featuring a kitchen made from Plyboo. It looks really cool, I like the contemporary look of the Plyboo. According to the article and some websites, Plyboo is supposed to be pretty tough, easily worked and finished. I am just curious if anyone has first hand experience working with that stuff.
Thanks,
Bernhard

yellofins

Ron
Corporate Member
Bernhard,
The person I purchased the lathe from (CHIP) had some in her garage.
It peaked my interest so I looked into it more.
There is a solid core version that I'd like to use for a project I have coming up.
It does look nice and seems solid.
Ron

jtdums

New User
Jim
Can't really speak to the plyboo, but the bamboo flooring is tough as steel and really dulls tool/blades quickly. Looks great though.

rhett

New User
rhett
I have put vertical cut bamboo down in my home b/c it is supposed to be the most stable and have a relative density above red oak. I believe that to be a lie. My dog has pretty much wrecked $9000 worth of flooring. My previous home had red oak thru out and I had no such problem. It looks fantastic but don't go on the assumption that it is as hard as it is made out to be. If you buy it carbonized it is 20% softer. It would make an outstanding kitchen though, especially with concrete counter tops.

Bernhard

Bernhard
User
Re: Plyboo - Update

Just received the Plyboo samples in the mail from Ecosupply (Richmond).
Four samples: Natural edge grain face, natiural flat grain face and amber flat grain face, amber edge grain face.
The quality seems to be outstanding. Absolutely no voids, 3 mm veneer thickness, machines nicely.
The only problem is the cost: $190/sheet (4x8x3/4), they also offer butcher block bamboo for counters.
I think I bite the bullet and use is for the fronts for my (very contemporary) kitchen. Since it is all solid bamboo, I will route all handles, pulls into the plyboo.
The cost is pretty high, but there is very little waste. The material can be easily matched from sheet to sheet.

Bernhard

DavidF

New User
David
Re: Plyboo - Update

Just received the Plyboo samples in the mail from Ecosupply (Richmond).
Four samples: Natural edge grain face, natiural flat grain face and amber flat grain face, amber edge grain face.
The quality seems to be outstanding. Absolutely no voids, 3 mm veneer thickness, machines nicely.
The only problem is the cost: $190/sheet (4x8x3/4), they also offer butcher block bamboo for counters.
I think I bite the bullet and use is for the fronts for my (very contemporary) kitchen. Since it is all solid bamboo, I will route all handles, pulls into the plyboo.
The cost is pretty high, but there is very little waste. The material can be easily matched from sheet to sheet.

Bernhard

Pictures Bernhard, Pictures!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS