"Pleasing to the Eye" exhibit, Raleigh History Museum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
This weekend, Christy and I and her folks went to the NC Museum of History in Raleigh and one exhibit on the third floor was very impressive to me.

Pleasing to the Eye: The Decorative Arts of North Carolina
Objects from the museum's collection, including furniture, ceramics, metalwork, silver, portraits, pottery, and textiles ranging from the 1600s to the late 1900s.

I checked out the furniture for a good hour as everyone else filtered by me. I can't tell you how impressed I was with some of those pieces, especially the ones by Thomas Day. Anyway, it's free and there were things setup for kids to do. Might be a fun day/afternoon for anyone in the area.

Cheers, :eek:ccasion1

Trent

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Trent, I did the Biltmore House in Asheville for the first time back in October. I spend the day just admiring the wood working in the place. It is interesting on how a hobby can totally change the way you look at the world.

jerrye

New User
Jerry
Trent,

Same thing for me last time I was at Folk Art Center outside Asheville. Nice work by local artisans. Have to check out the display at Museum of History.

How'd it go with "Meet The Parents"?

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Trent, I did the Biltmore House in Asheville for the first time back in October. I spend the day just admiring the wood working in the place. It is interesting on how a hobby can totally change the way you look at the world.

Scott,

The Biltmore house sure is beautiful. I went there many years ago with my folks, but have always wanted to see it all decked out for the holidays. We're planning on going up there two weekends from now and her dad is a tour guide there, so I'm sure it will be a real treat. I definitely remember lots of extravagant woodworking in there and am just waiting to feast my eyes on it now that I have some experience under my belt. I just hope she doesn't get impatient or slip on the puddles of drool on the floor. :gar-La;

Trent

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Trent,

Same thing for me last time I was at Folk Art Center outside Asheville. Nice work by local artisans. Have to check out the display at Museum of History.

How'd it go with "Meet The Parents"?

Hey Jerry,

It went well. They are some really nice folks and their personalities compliment each other very well. We checked out the NC museum of history, the legislative building and ended the day with a jam session. Me on guitar, Christy on keyboard and her dad was WAILING on the harmonica. I'd have to say it was a success and I didn't even spill any beer on either of them. :rotflm:

Trent

PS: I did manage to drop both my knife and fork on the floor at dinner (at seperate times). Had to go snag another silverware set from the table nextdoor. :slap:

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
and don't forget to check out the winery. They make an excellant holiday wine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS