Playing around with pyrography on turned pieces.

karlkoch

New User
Karl
I've started making my own pyrography pen tips out of nichrome wire and playing around with embellishing my turned pieces. Here are a couple of early results. I'm also using paint washes in the texture created by the pyro pen. The first 3 are made from cypress and the bowl on the gold lame backdrop is cherry.
bzsketrimcypress.jpg
greenrimcypress.jpg
iphone1.jpg
iphone2.jpg

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Wow Karl, you've really taken your turned artistry to a new level. Your work is unique, innovative, and beautiful. Thank you for sharing!

karlkoch

New User
Karl
On this one, how did you get the burn marks to turn green? I really liked this aged bronze looks mixed with the color of the wood.
I too am interested on how you did the color.

So...for the washes of color I used highly thinned white acrylic and "verdigris" green chalk paint. Both types of paint were purchased at Michael's craft store. Paint it onto the texture and then gently wipe it off the raised areas. It's easy to take off too much but you can always do it again to add more in spots. After it dries you can also buff the high areas with a cotton cloth or 400 grit or finer sandpaper. I finished the burned/painted pieces with matte acrylic spray. The red bowl was dyed with an alcohol-based aniline dye. I think I did the dye before the burning.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS