Plate turning workshop Saturday January 17 Raleigh

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
For those who have turning tools should we bring them along? If so what types?

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
This morning on the Sunday chat Mike Davis explained his simple process for turning a plate. I went out to the shop and gave it a try. Here is what you folks will be making. Thanks Mike
DSC04852.JPG

DSC04850.JPG

Jim Wallace

jimwallacewoodturning.com
Jim
Corporate Member
Phil, Ed Mastin and I are interested in coming to observe the workshop next Saturday. We both have lathes at home, so don't need to turn. We're interested to watch Mike's methods. I've never been able to turn a plate that didn't need sanding, so would love to learn how he does it. It would also be a chance to meet some like-minded people. I met you some time ago when you were giving away lights. They have really improved my shop. I see that you are providing lunch. We don't want to make extra work for you, so we could just stay for the morning. If you feel that we'd interfere in any way, just say so. Thanks, Jim Wallace

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Phil, Ed Mastin and I are interested in coming to observe the workshop next Saturday. We both have lathes at home, so don't need to turn. We're interested to watch Mike's methods. I've never been able to turn a plate that didn't need sanding, so would love to learn how he does it. It would also be a chance to meet some like-minded people. I met you some time ago when you were giving away lights. They have really improved my shop. I see that you are providing lunch. We don't want to make extra work for you, so we could just stay for the morning. If you feel that we'd interfere in any way, just say so. Thanks, Jim Wallace

OK I have enough room and chairs and I will have plenty of lunch. See you then

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
It was a beautiful day today in the workshop!!!

Thank you to Phil for the use of his shop! And a big thanks to Mike Davis for coming all the way to Raleigh to teach us all something about turning plates and bowls! I had a wonderful time seeing friends and using Phil's lathes. I was lucky enough to squeeze in a bowl before lunch and a platter after lunch. Phil has the pics! It was nice to see everyone that I don't get to see very often.

AND, by the way...if anyone has an old lathe that they would like to part with, I'm interested! I have a small Jet 1012, but would like to find something bigger that will allow me to turn some larger platters.

Michael

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
A special thanks to Jim Wallace for teaching me some things I needed to know.

everybody did great today, lots of bowls and a huge plate were made and I think everybody had a good time.

looking forward to the next one.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Great crowd today. In true NCWW spirit, everybody was helping each other learn. A big thanks to Mike Davis for getting us on the right track.

Here are the proof is in the photos:
DSC04880.JPG

DSC04879.JPG

DSC048781.JPG

DSC04875.JPG

DSC04873.JPG

DSC048711.JPG

DSC048701.JPG

DSC04869.JPG

DSC04868.JPG

DSC04867.JPG

DSC04865.JPG

DSC04863.JPG

Mrfixit71

Board of Directors, Treasurer
Rich
Staff member
Corporate Member
+1 for a great day, and many thanks to Phil, Mike, Jim and everyone else.

Rich

Jim Wallace

jimwallacewoodturning.com
Jim
Corporate Member
I had a really great time too! Phil, your shop is worthy of envy. We appreciate your hospitality. Lunch was really great. I've read posts from many people on this forum, so it was nice to meet in person.

Jim

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
Phil thanks again for hosting another great day. Want to thank Mike and Jim for all there great advice along with Charlies.

hymie123

Jim
Corporate Member
Phil, Mike, thank you for hosting and organizing! Thanks to all the experienced turners who offered advice on tool usage and technique. It was great to meet folks in person.

Gary_C

New User
Gary
Thanks to Phil and Mike for putting on this workshop. I had a good time. I've got a chunk of padauk that looks to be a good size for a small platter so I think I'm going to try another one at home. Thanks for the inspiration...

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Looks like a good time was had by all...a lathe is currently on my wish list! I have been in Phil's shop several times, but I didn't know he had so many lathes (there must be a hidden storage area somewhere :)).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors