Plate turning workshop Saturday January 17 Raleigh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Mike Davis has agreed to teach how to turn plates.

Workshop location will be Phil Soper's shop in east Raleigh. There is a PM 3520 and a PM 45 to practice on

Class will begin at 9:00 and end at 3:00

We can handle a maximum of 8 students and MrFixit71 has already said yes

Lunch will be provided

I will let Mike chime in on what each student should bring

hymie123

Jim
Corporate Member
I'd like to attend the workshop. Hopefully, my lack of turning skills won't prevent me from participating :)

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
In just five hours I don't think everyone will get to turn a plate.

We could go through the process, everybody can cut blanks, maybe two can turn plates. If Phil can arrange it then the ones without large lathes can come back to finish theirs on another day without me.

you need some wide flat stock, rough cut, 5/4 if over 12 inches wide and 4/4 is ok if under 12 inches. Cut to a square will save a little time. Maple works great, walnut or most harder woods work well. Oak does not. Although I haven't tried quarter sawn white oak, it may work.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
In just five hours I don't think everyone will get to turn a plate.

We could go through the process, everybody can cut blanks, maybe two can turn plates. If Phil can arrange it then the ones without large lathes can come back to finish theirs on another day without me.

you need some wide flat stock, rough cut, 5/4 if over 12 inches wide and 4/4 is ok if under 12 inches. Cut to a square will save a little time. Maple works great, walnut or most harder woods work well. Oak does not. Although I haven't tried quarter sawn white oak, it may work.

I could probably borrow three small Rikon lathes from Outreach. They are just 10", so some of the students would be making saucers if you think that is ok

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
The Nova lathes? Yes, I think that will work. The thing about this technique is you can make a small plate from 1/2 inch thick material. Where any other method would leave holes through the work or has to wait for glue to dry. So, some plates and some saucers.

Last edited:

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Please include me. I really need to learn to use a bowl gouge. I just turned an 11" plate using a glued-on 3/4" insert with a faceplate, from 3/4" stock.

It came out OK using EWT, but needed a lot of sanding.

I need to get 4 of these done before Xmas so will bully on, but would like to learn to do it properly. I'll get pics up of the process I'm using soon.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I could probably borrow three small Rikon lathes from Outreach. They are just 10", so some of the students would be making saucers if you think that is ok

The Nova lathes on the trailer have 12" swing over the bed. The banjo should not need to be placed under the turning to make a thin plate, so an 11" plus plate could be turned on one of these lathes easily.

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
If you think this is suitable for somebody with zero lathe experience, then count me in! I'd be happy to take home even a half-finished saucer :) If you think I should learn by turning cylinders first, then say so and I'll either bow out or force myself to jump in and give that a try :)

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
The Nova lathes on the trailer have 12" swing over the bed. The banjo should not need to be placed under the turning to make a thin plate, so an 11" plus plate could be turned on one of these lathes easily.

hey chris,

come on out one sunday and I can give you a crash coarse on the basics. tomorrow is open.:gar-Bi

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
Sign me up for a "Maybe"......dont know yet if I will be in town that weekend

dwminnich

New User
Dave
I can't make that weekend, but if we do this again, or if the date changes I'm definitely interested.

--dave

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
I am pleased to see the response

Looks like we are booked up, I can take a couple more folks on a standby if we have some dropouts

Here is who I have signed up, please let me know if I missed you

Ken
Rich
Jim
Michael
Chris
Scott
Fred
Dirk

We will have two full size lathes and three or four minis

Mike Davis will be the guest instructor and I will be providing plate blanks and lunch

I will provide further details as we get closer

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
come on out one sunday and I can give you a crash coarse on the basics. tomorrow is open.:gar-Bi

I think I'll take you up on that! Already have plans for Sunday, but I'll take a look at my calendar and get back to you.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
I am pleased to see the response

Looks like we are booked up, I can take a couple more folks on a standby if we have some dropouts

Here is who I have signed up, please let me know if I missed you

Ken
Rich
Jim
Michael
Chris
Scott
Fred
Dirk

We will have two full size lathes and three or four minis

Mike Davis will be the guest instructor and I will be providing plate blanks and lunch

I will provide further details as we get closer

I probably cant make it and since I already know how I'll drop out and make room for those who don't.:gar-Bi

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I'm learning by doing. The Easy Wood Tools are my salivation for learning on the fly, but they require a lot of sanding. I look forward to this workshop to learn further how to use a bowl gouge.

I really need to post some pics of what I've done so far, but this weekend has been extremely busy. Need to replace a Ceiling Fan in the great room and re-upholster a window seat that was very cheaply made. Mike has offered individual help but I've just not had time to take him up on the offer, Thanks Mike, so really looking forward to this workshop.

We went to Pittsboro this morning so the wife could shop the curio shops on main street and I spent the morning up at Ed's hand tool store. Spent under $100 - a first for me. But I got a really nice graduated caliper for turning and Susan bought an antigue coin bank from him - not everything is old tools up there. A nice trip for my birthday and a great way to support small business Saturday.

Sorry to digress a little - looking forward to the class.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Latest update - we are full with one member on standby

Current list is:
Ken
Rich
Jim
Michael
Chris
Scott
Dirk
Gonzalo
Gary - standby

On the big lathes we will be turning 14" diameter Sapelle platters
On the small lathes we will turn 8" cherry or maple saucers

I have a new texturing tool we can try out

Lunch will be the best chili you have ever had along as I can find my wife's recipe - let me know if anybody has dietary restrictions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS