Planet Mesquite Demo

Dreuxgrad

Ed
Senior User
Last evening John Tisdale displayed his Planet Mesquite project for the first time at the Dallas Area Woodturners group.
What a fascinating piece of wood turning. I'm beginning to understand how "everything is bigger in Texas " applied,
if this is an example. Oneway offered advice on mounting and equipment modifications. He plans to author a book
on this approximately thirty inch globe. John is on the left mounting the 60# turning on a all metal frame with the axial all-thread. planet mesquite.jpg
Ed

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
Wow! That's Huge! He must have turned it on the left side (outboard side) of the head to get that much swing? Did you hear how he achieved such a piece? Was this a faceplate turning? I'm not sure how else he could have done this with that much weight.

Thanks for sharing Ed!

Dreuxgrad

Ed
Senior User
Another photo showing the Oneway lathe and additional equipment John had constructed for this project.
He said he filled his 50 gallon container almost eight times with the chips. At the start the blank weight about
one thousand pounds, about sixty now. Almost a dozen coats of sealer and several automotive clear coats.
Will have a stainless steel mount, wonder if he will have it displayed at SWAT next week. I asked if he used
CA or epoxy, no CA but a couple varieties of West brand epoxy.
pm setup.JPG

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS