Planer vs Jointer/Planer combo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Will Goodwin

New User
Will Goodwin
Are there reasons I should or shouldn't buy a jointer/planer combo over the two machines separately. Any suggestions for starter machines? I am just trying to figure out if I buy my wood from a sawyer how am I going to get it planed to thickness and then in a position to glue up for a table top for example.

thanks,
Will

DaveO

New User
DaveO
The combo machines will save a lot of space, and can provide you with a bigger jointer that you could afford in two stand alone machines. The jointer bed on the combos are shorter than one would find on a stand alone, and that might give some issues working with longer stock. You need to plan your work flow well to avoid having to set up the machine multiple times. With a combo machine if the motor goes or something malfunctions you are out both machines functions. Less dust collection piping needed with a combo system.
For about $5-600 you can get a decent 6" jointer, and 12.5" lunch box planer and do the work that you need. But more than likely you will want to up-grade to bigger, stronger machines as your needs increase. You can spend $2500 for a combo 12" jointer/planner and if you choose the best machine you can afford you might not ever need to buy one again.
MTCW,
Dave:)

Nativespec

New User
David
I bought the Jet JJP12 because I wanted the 12" jointer top. I don't mind the shorter length and the planer is fantastic and priced about the same as a 12" jointer. It saves space, it's quiet, collects dust well, converts from planer to jointer in seconds and it is well made with a 5yr warranty.

I highly recommend it.

David

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
DaveO pretty much nailed it, I think.

You are welcome to come by and check out the combo j/p on my Robland, if you are ever in the area.

-Mark

cpowell

Chuck
Senior User
You've already got some good recommendations.

If this is a first jointer and planer for you I would suggest buying a used 6 inch jointer and a used or new 12.5 or 13 inch planer. Used 6 inch jointer sales come up a lot as someone upgrades to an 8 inch or larger jointer. You can get good bargains going this route.

Used lunchbox planers 12.5 - 13 inch come along (less frequently than jointers I think) but new prices are not terribly high.

It will do you no harm to learn to use a 6 inch jointer and lunchbox planer. The skills learned will benefit you if you decide to upgrade later, either to larger stationary jointer and stationary planer or a nice combo unit. You will learn how to read grain, how to visualize the resultant plane you desire when face jointing stock, how to handle heavy stock on the planer and avoid/minimize snipe. You will learn to change blades - including adjusting knife heights, check bed alignments, etc. Once you gain this skill, you will know when you need to upgrade.

Several folks on the forum have some very nice, well-built combo machines - top notch stuff. I just don't know that I would recommend a combo machine for an initial purchase, unless you've been doing this hobby for quite a while and know you will stick with it and know the combo machine fits your style. My gut feeling is that you will lose more money trying to sell a USED combo machine that you purchased at NEW cost than you would selling a USED 6 inch jointer and lunchbox planer that you paid "USED" prices for.

I am NOT advocating buying a flimsy benchtop jointer - buy some SOLID iron. Once you learn to make flat, square stock with the less expensive MACHINERY you can make an informed decision on future upgrades and sell your old machinery for minimal or no loss.

My $.02.

Chuck

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
As for the being able to joint wider boards, remember that you can joint boards up to 1.5 times the width of your jointer. You need to add a surface to the in feed table that aligns with the rabbeting ledge, remove factory guard, and add an Euro style guard. When you have face jointed a board this way, you wind up with an area that isn't jointed. Take board to planer, with a sled under the face jointed area. When second side is parallel to the first, turn board over, remove sled and plan to thickness,.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Dave and Chuck pretty much covered everything.

I couldn't figure out what the hoopla was over a long jointer bed until I actually jointed some long boards for my workbench. Not that you can't work around that with roller stands, but then you finally understand. There are lots of other considerations as well besides length and width, such as the type of cutterhead (straight/ spiral/ steel/ carbide - google away!). As Chuck said, if you make the wrong choice here, you're out a lot more money than if you used smaller equipment as a stepping stone.

So, a combo may be the right machine for you, but I suggest at least some hands-on experience on more basic equipment. You may find that an 8" jointer (which is the most popular size for hobbyists) meets your needs, but you really want a 20" planer. Or not. It all depends on what kind of projects you'll be doing.

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
Bruce, I am having a hard time picturing how what you are describing works.... ????

jsjordan

New User
Joel Jordan
Will -

I just upgraded to a larger jointer (pics coming soon!) :eusa_danc so my 6" bench-top jointer is currently in the bullpen. I used it for several years and it served me very well but I'm at a point where I need to joint larger and longer pieces so I needed a bigger machine. You are welcome to come by and try out one or both to get a feel for what each machine can/ can not do for you.

The only planer I have experience with is a lunch-box style and the results have been excellent so far! :icon_thum

PM me if interested. Joel

Steve W

New User
Steve
I'm with DaveO on this one, too. Do the smaller thing until you have a feel for what you really want. There's a chance that what you want or need is the smaller machine.

Example: I bought my Delta lunchbox 13" planer for $150 (with extra knives) and my Ridgid 6" jointer for $200. Both are good-quality tools that would probably fetch those same prices (or more) should I decide to upgrade later.

Keep in mind that there are a lot of eyes on this forum that are out scouring CL and other places for "deals" :tool: Use it to your advantage. In fact, that is how I found my jointer!:thumbs_up

:kermit: Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS