planer stand ....build or buy ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sawduster

New User
Robert
I am in the middle of some major renovations to make my shop more user-friendly and i am to the point of thinking about mobile stands for my Delta planer and my 6" craftsman joiner.
Part of my upgrade will be a front " porch " off of the garage door as an outside workspace. I will need to negotiate the lip of the garage door bottom when rolling the stands outside. I've found some interesting plans online but I'm really not much of a builder yet. Money is not too much of an issue as my tool fund is pretty flush at the moment. I've found a Dewalt 3 wheeled planer stand that looks promising and affordable ( sorta ) but it has it's drawbacks as well

Any one have any input/ideas on this ....positive or negative ?

TIA :D

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
The primary reason to build your own stand -- aside from collapsible stands -- is to either customize it and/or build storage into the stand.

If you don't need such then you may as well go ahead and purchase a read-made and enjoy the added shop time.

That said, if you are needing to build on your skills then shop cabinets, workbenches, etc., are all excellent opportunities to develop and build on skills as they only need to be strong and functional -- looks don't much matter for shop-only projects.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
One other consideration:

Does the readymade stand have dust collection built in?

Does the plan you found have that option?

I also need a stand for a 6" craftsman jointer, could you post a link to the plans you found?

nn4jw

New User
Jim
I made a planer stand from an old kitchen cabinet base unit that I picked up off the curb.

Stand-09.jpg

The step by step is here. The only money I have in it is for the casters and drawer pulls. The storage underneath is where I keep all planing related tools like spare planer knives and hand planes.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I REALLY Liked the one someone suggested for a Jointer / planer stand combination. (You are usually using them together...)

Although I am going to explore the "Use a Sled in the planer" instead of a jointer approach next project to see if I can get rid of my jointer!!!

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
I built a mobile base for my 15" planer because I wanted long infeed/outfeed tables to give me a stable platform for using a sled for face jointing. There were no options on the market for that (AFAIK). The result is a stand that is actually smaller than the original (with infeed/outfeed rollers) but give me nearly 4ft of infeed/outfeed table to work with. So far, I've not regretted that for a moment. I've got pics of the model and the final product in my gallery.

llucas

luke
Senior User
You mentioned one design that utilizes only 3 wheels...which may mean only one wheel will pivot. I will NEVER AGAIN have a stand with wheels on one end which only roll and don't pivot. It is such a back and forth PITA to maneuver and requires much more room to accomplish positioning. Spring for a complete set (3 or 4) of wheels which all pivot ( and at least 2 of which will lock) , and enjoy your creation.

bluedawg76

New User
Sam
All of my shop machinery is on wheels -TS, jointer, BS, DC, and planer. 3 wheels would kind of scare me personally w/ a top heavy stand. But I agree to definitely get the swivel casters (4) w/ 2 that lock. I built my stand-nothing fancy. Just laminated some 2x's together to make the legs -an apron and 2 pieces of 3/4" mdf for the top. My shopvac fits under it. filing cabinet is a nice idea -extra storage for stuff.

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
You can put me in the 2-swivel camp. I converted all my 4-swivelers into 2. 4-swivelers seem to enjoy defying my steering inputs.

sawduster

New User
Robert
One other consideration:

Does the readymade stand have dust collection built in?

Does the plan you found have that option?

I also need a stand for a 6" craftsman jointer, could you post a link to the plans you found?

Dust collection is low on the list as I will using this outside 99% of the time and aiming outside the other 1%
:D

I am still looking for a good jointer stand solution and you are right, the's not a lot out there but I will certainly share what I find :icon_thum

sawduster

New User
Robert
You mentioned one design that utilizes only 3 wheels...which may mean only one wheel will pivot. I will NEVER AGAIN have a stand with wheels on one end which only roll and don't pivot. It is such a back and forth PITA to maneuver and requires much more room to accomplish positioning. Spring for a complete set (3 or 4) of wheels which all pivot ( and at least 2 of which will lock) , and enjoy your creation.

actually the 3rd wheel is only used for moving and has a lifter you engage when ready. yes it is the only one that pivots but when you set it back down it is reported to be rock solid. This also means that the permanent wheels are prolly close to the ground and may creat a prob going over the threshold of the garage door :dontknow:

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
MyNewDewalt.jpg
Heres my shop made stand. It has storage underneath and rolls easily on 4 casters:icon_thum:icon_thum

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
I have a small shop so I need to be very frugal with space utilization. Consequently, I build a "flip" stand for my planner and OSS. The stand is on wheels, so I can roll it out when needed. I really don't have a good picture of the table, however, you can see it in the picture below (the true intent of this pic was to show the wall cabinet).
P1020021.JPG

Volksdad

New User
Glen
Plus one on the flip stand!
i have a TINY shop and I've added a deck area outside so I can wheel tools outside to work. I have been looking at flip stands on Pinterest for ideas. I prefer to build because its more economical, you get what you need, and little projects are really fun.

sawduster

New User
Robert
Plus one on the flip stand!
i have a TINY shop and I've added a deck area outside so I can wheel tools outside to work. I have been looking at flip stands on Pinterest for ideas. I prefer to build because its more economical, you get what you need, and little projects are really fun.

that is exactly what I am doing . I already have to do most everything outside and I'm tired of totin' tools and projects !! My new layout will actually give me some space to work inside !! :icon_cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS