Planer Research

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnsonMBrandon

New User
Brandon Johnson
I have been researching new planers. Was seriously interested in the Dewalt 735, but I can find very few good reviews. It seems that there have been multiple problems with infeed, and blades not lasting very long. Anyone here have any trouble with one. The other three knife dewalt model seems to well and most people are very happy with it.

It seems like a better route to go is with the Ridgid right now. They get good reviews throughout. Anyone try a small grizzly planer? I am pretty sure at this point I will go for the ridgid. Let me know what you guys think.

Bill Julson

New User
Update your profile with your name
Hey Brandon, I know what you are going thru right now as I am doing the same thing. I have never owned a planer, so have been checking reviews & tests trying to find as much info as I can. I saw some decent reviews about 2-3 months ago on the Ryobi AP1301 at HD, but now I don't find those same ones. I got a 10% online discount from HD which expires tonight, which includes free shipping, but just don't feel comfortable. Several reviews talked about the plastic parts on it. I am also looking at the Rigid TP1300, and the Delta 22-580. Would love to get the Dewalt DW735, but at $499, is out of my budget. Hopefully we can get some feedback from members. As a novice ww, I sure could use some guidance. I have a Jet jointer & bandsaw, Delta scroll saw, & my father-in-law's '50s model Craftsman TS, and am happy with all those, but not sure where to go here.

bj

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
I can't comment on the dw 735 but I have the older two knife model and other than I would like to have wider capacity, it does a fine job. If I were looking for a lunchbox type planer, I would not hesitate getting the newer dewalt model. I would seriously consider the refurb which is reasonably cheaper than the $499.00 at most stores. Try amazon or google for dewalt refurbs. I recently purchased a Dewalt 12" Dual bevel compound miter saw which was refurbed and honestly I can't tell it wasn't first grade other than the "R" which was engraved into the motor housing. Got the same warranty as one which wasn't refurbed.

Mike

Monty

New User
Monty
OK. Here's my final, bottom-line opinion.

I have tortured myself over buying decisions in the past. As a result, I have needlessly delayed the purchase and subsequent enjoyment of a tool that I needed. If you buy a tool that's crap, the world is not going to come to an end. Even the tool that's crap will probably work just fine for most tasks. If you don't have a planer, or have never used a planer, then just BUY A PLANER!!! Try it! See how it works! If you don't like it, SELL IT and buy another one! You may lose $50-100 in the process, but what you will learn will be worth much more than $100.

I'm not totally happy with my planer... but I use it and it works just fine. What I'd REALLY like is one of those 20" Yorkies, but I don't have one, and I'm OK with that (note: I've been immunized against the Woodguy disease!). There are pro's and con's about my planer that I could point out to you, but in the end, it has performed just fine in all of my projects. Most of the things that I thought were problems at first were MY OWN FAULT, DUE TO MY INEXPERIENCE!!! And people who have planers that don't have the "features" of mine are making projects that frankly make me envious.

BUT... if you struggle over your purchase decision for too long, then you simply won't have the tool in hand, and you won't progress in your woodworking knowledge and skills like you need to.

OK, now that makes 4 cents. :-|

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
That sounds like a very reasonable philosophy Insom.:icon_thum Let us know when you fall prey to the WG disease and break down and get one of those 20" Yorkies so we can all come over and make thin boards out of thick boards.:lol:

D L

clowman

Clay Lowman
Corporate Member
I think that the small Griz planer will be in the same league as my planer, Delta TP400LS. One may be a tad bit better than the other, but not much. My opinion, I'd go for something more "beefier". Don't get me wrong, my delta has served me for years, and it does ok, if you don't mind sanding up after you run stock through it. But, Like insom said, if I hadn't gotten it when I did, I probally would have waited and waited. Next time I get one, I'll get a better one. In the meantime, if you thinking about saving the money for the next "step" up, do yourself a favor, and spend the extra money now, or wait till you can.

JohnsonMBrandon

New User
Brandon Johnson
Thanks for the info and the opinion Insomniac. I think I have found a conclusion. I think I am probably going to with the Ridgid. All of the reviews are good, and the price is right, and it has lifetime warranty. I talked to a couple guys who run pro shops and use the dewalt 735 for site work. They both said if they had to do it again they wouldn't buy it. They say without the additional infeed and outfeed tables that you will get some tearout and snipe. They also say the blades wear out quicker than other comprable planers. They say its not bad, but when price, and blade buying creates an issue go with the Ridgid or the next model dewalt down. It seems if they made aftermarket knives the dewalt would be unstopable. Thats my conclusion after the reasearch. Hope it may help someone else. Not trying to knock the dewalt.....just trying to make a sound purchase and conserve at the same time.

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
I too have the Dewalt older model and can't complain. It's perfect for it's intended task. Yes, I'll step up to a stationary 15 or 20 someday but I've run tons of stock through this machine and the knives have held up well. I generally don't expect a finished surface off of a planer or my performax. I use them for stock prep and then sand or scrape as needed. You can't find any tool that someone thinks is great and someone else thinks is a piece of @#$%. Insom's right, pick something that meets your needs and go for it.

Ryan

New User
Ryan Sellers
I don't think you'll be disappointed with the Ridgid. I've been very pleased with mine. If by chance you need service, Ridgid has the best in my opinion. From my experience it's hassle-free- they fix what's broken and send you on your way!

Ryan

stoneskippers

New User
John Skipper
I have the older type 2 blade Dewalt and it does a great job. With some adjustment to the out feed table I eliminated the snips on the end of the boards. As for the blades I have a friend at a machine shop sharpen them and they cut better than new. I 5 years I have not had to buy new blades. A refurbished one might be a good choice.

Bill Julson

New User
Update your profile with your name
Thanks everyone. Really appreciate the advice. I too have agonized over a purchase in the past to the point I drive myself crazy sometimes. You are exactly right Insomniac, Buy the damm thing and make something. I am leaning toward the Rigid like Brandon so will probably pick it up this weekend. Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

the bj

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS