planer issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

stal023

New User
Stal
I have a fairly new planer (bench top Ridgid) and all of a sudden part of the wood isn't coming out smooth. I think a staple may have gone through. How do I fix this? This is my first planer.

stal023

New User
Stal
Does that mean flipping the blade over? It's a 3 blade with reversible blades. And if I have to do that with one, do I do it to all three?

Jeremy Scuteri

Jeremy
Technically, you should not have to do it to all 3, but if one of the blades has a nick, it is likely nicked on all three. A nicked blade will leave a ridge that is a straight line along the length of the board. Other than the ridge, the rest of the board should be good. If the entire board is coming our "rough" you might have dull blades in which case the remedy is the same (flip all the blades).

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
shift one or 2 blades to one side. preferably one left and one right. doesn't take much.

Jeremy Scuteri

Jeremy
shift one or 2 blades to one side. preferably one left and one right. doesn't take much.

If they are indexed blades I am not sure you can shift them. I am thinking back to my DW734 that I had before I got a 15" Grizzly with a spiral cutterhead, and I don't think those could be shifted. There were holes that indexed the position of the blade. Maybe there was little lateral play in them, I can't be certain since I no longer have it.

stal023

New User
Stal
Yeah, I can't shift them. I went ahead and flipped all of them. Couldn't tell there was any damage. I didn't fire it up because I was to lazy to reset everything up. Will test it out soon though.

McRabbet

Rob
Corporate Member
Stal,

and all of a sudden part of the wood isn't coming out smooth.
Let me ask if this rough section is with a new board you are planing for the first time. It may be that the board has enough cupping in it that the knives are not reaching that part of the board. It commonly occurs when you are planing rough lumber. Just asking...

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
If they are indexed blades I am not sure you can shift them. I am thinking back to my DW734 that I had before I got a 15" Grizzly with a spiral cutterhead, and I don't think those could be shifted. There were holes that indexed the position of the blade. Maybe there was little lateral play in them, I can't be certain since I no longer have it.

yeh I wasn't too familiar with that model. I have a delta portable and it has indexed blades as well but the indexing is with slots that allow some [ not much] sidewards movement.

BTW OP did you try another board? without pics it's hard to know what rough is. could be a nicked blade or tear out or..................... keep us posted.:thumbs_up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors