Plane storage options

Status
Not open for further replies.

bwat

New User
Bill
There has been a lot of recent threads regarding new and old plane purchases. I'm interested in seeing how everyone stores the planes used in their shop, not decorative storage. I've got planes on shelves, in drawers, under bench, etc and need to build a new cabinet or some sort of storage that keeps all readily accessible yet protected. There seem to be varied preferences out there on whether to store on sides or sole, flat or sloped, padded, hung :eusa_thin- the list goes on...

What's in your shop?

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
While I have no useful pics to answer your question, mine are all over the place.

I tend to favor laying them sole down, with a little shim under the front. I tend to follow the Kingshott school. Sadly, many are right where they got stuck during numerous shop cleanup efforts.....

Jim

Gregory Paolini

New User
Gregory Paolini
I store them on their soles, with a piece of veneer or some other scrap under the toe to keep the blade from touching anything. This seems to take up the lease ammount of space, while still leaving them ready & accessible. Although I have been looking at hanging them from their totes.... Who knows... I've yet to make a real nice tool chest.... Shoemakers kids syndrome.

Sandy Rose

New User
Sandy
I use a couple of long magnets that I picked up at Woodcraft. I would prefer to have a cabinet, but I don't have a lot of space for one.

redhawknc1

New User
Wayne
I store them in an open shelf made of cherry. They sit directly down on the shelf. Probably should shim them, just haven't. Convenient for work, but inefficient for max storage. Shoulder planes, blocks, router, etc. are stored in tool cabinet drawers. All the rest of the hand planes that don't fit in the shelf are strewn all over the shop basically.Have another plane cabinet started, but keep doing other little projects.
till.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors