PineWood Derby Rocket Car - Pic's & Video

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
Hello NCWW's,

We had our Anything Goes PineWood Derby on Wednesday last week.

Would you believe that another contestant brought a compressed air car. His car was cool, and I was scared I might lose...:eusa_doh: Well here are some pictures of my can and his. Not sure how to upload the video that my wife took. Any advice?

Enjoy the pictures
comments/criticism always welcome.

The one on the left is made out of a Hairspray can, and he used a compressed air tank to fill his up to 125psi and all the air was released at once. Mine on the right, I actually pumped up with a bike pump with a gauge to 125psi the first few times, then to 127psi the last race... I really wanted to win. :gar-Bi Mine has a petra valve filled with epoxy and then drilled a 1/16" hole. The air releases in about 2 seconds. We tied most races, his flew off the track once, and his fell in front on mine once and I pushed him across the finish line, but in the video which is hard to tell since I don't have frame by frame, it looks like I might have acutally went underneath his car and won anyway. :banana:

Last edited:

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
I actually drilled the hole to 5/64" today and pumped it up to 140psi, I was testing the limits to see if it would burst.

It didn't burst and when I let go, that thing took off faster than ever, WOW~! I so want to have another RACE~!

sushinutnc

New User
Mike
Awesome, Matthew. Nicely executed! So, it looks like you used the self-actuated trigger... but he had to tap his valve? I like the "cleaness" of the self-actuated valve, even though it looks like his had better acceleration. Would have liked to see them not stopped at the bottom just to see how far they would have continued. LOL

Great vids. Thanks for posting!

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
Hey SushiNutNC,

Thanks~! Yes mine was self acutated by a mouse trap spring. The front spring trigger was supposed to touch the front of the gate, but since I hadn't seen the track, my spring trigger went underneath the gate as did his. So I held mine and he hit his with a hammer...I think it helped push his down the track a little. We would both say go, I would let go of my spring and he would hit his, and off they went.

Yes his did have a burst more energy at the start, but mine caught up to his in the middle and if you pause one of the videos just right, even though it looks like he is ahead, mine looks like it may have tied still.

Anyway after making the hole 5/64" today and filling it to 140psi, I am positive I would have wasted his car, so want a rematch~!

Thanks again, and I owe my car design to Robert (waterzooka, from Youtube) He helped me out a lot, Thanks Robert~!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS