Pinewood / AWANA Derby Cars

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrianBDH

New User
Brian
I know this might be silly for a group of serious woodworkers. But I ran across these pictures of AWANA Grand Prix cars that I built with my two boys. (Similar to the Cub Scout Pinewood Derby.) They aged out 2 years ago, but I still look back at those races as some of the best bonding time we have had together. So I thought I would share them.

I also want to invite everyone else to share any pictures you have. I have a suspicion that this group has done some pretty impressive work.

AWANA_CAR_2004.JPG

2004 Car. Won first place for speed.

100_0246.JPG

2006 car. Won first place for speed. This is the only car where I machined the wheels like this.

102_0918.jpg

2007 Car. Won second place for speed. Little bit of bling that I sneaked across the laser at work.

101_09011.JPG

2008 Car. Won second place for speed. More laser work.

101_2187.JPG

2009 Car. Won first place for speed. I am most proud of this one. As my youngest son got older, I would let him do more and more of the actual work on the cars. For 2009, we worked out our design target with a few sketches and started with 2 kits. We set up the cuts together and then I would make a cut on "my" car to show him, then he would make the same cut on "his" car. We did that all the way through. When we were both finished, we threw mine away and used his. So he actually did it all.

Those were some great hours spent together.

101_5640.JPG

101_0049.JPG

Thanks for looking.

Brian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS