Pine or Fir?

Jak3

New User
Jacob
Was just wondering if these old barn trusses were still good to use so I cut into one. Very aromatic and resinous. Pine or Fir?

y9v1lXQ.jpg

3hCIB9o.jpg

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
I am going to venture pine. Possibly long leaf red pine. Good wood. The ones I have run across in older construction has been very hard, to the point that you even need to pre-drill holes for finishing nails in trim work.

Jak3

New User
Jacob
I am going to venture pine. Possibly long leaf red pine. Good wood. The ones I have run across in older construction has been very hard, to the point that you even need to pre-drill holes for finishing nails in trim work.

Cool. Thanks for the input. I don't think these are that hard given that I had no trouble cutting this section with a hand saw. Whatever they are I look forward to using them in some kind of project before they waste away.

0a0J4RG.jpg

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
Cool. Thanks for the input. I don't think these are that hard given that I had no trouble cutting this section with a hand saw. Whatever they are I look forward to using them in some kind of project before they waste away.

0a0J4RG.jpg
I'd like to guess pine. Fir and pine do not smell the same. When you plane it just give it a shiff and you'll know. By my estimate, it looks like pine.

zdorsch

Zach
Corporate Member
I’ll echo heart pine.

Good article about heart pine including pictures:

Jeff

New User
Jeff
It may be old growth longleaf pine which is kind of reddish color and smells like turpentine.

Did you get the whole pile of beams in your picture?

Jak3

New User
Jacob
It may be old growth longleaf pine which is kind of reddish color and smells like turpentine.

Did you get the whole pile of beams in your picture?
Yeah that's all of it. I just cut some sections out of one beam. Thinking of making some sort of side table with it. Theres a lot of it I want to use it before it wastes away. Its been sitting out there for about a year from when it was removed from an old barn.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
I have purchased reclaimed longleaf heart pine from 2 sources; one near Pittsboro, NC and the other in Staunton, VA. It's not cheap and they milled it for me after removing the nails and other metal junk.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors