"Pin Nailer's vs. Brad Nailers

Status
Not open for further replies.

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
After repairing my Bostich ($60) and having it work less than one small job, I found myself in need of either a Brad Nailer or a Pin Nailer. Not really knowing the difference:dontknow: and their respective uses, I called my "guru" that all knowing "authority" on all things woodworking related and he straightened me right out!! :icon_thum

Sooo, off to the "Blue Box" where I purchased a Hitachi Brad Nailer on sale. I would like to have bought "American" but the last Bostich I had kinda soured me on them. I have a Hitachi stapler which has never missed a lick, so I now have two Hitachi products.

If you're wondering who my "advisor" is, it's that good lookin' feller from Franklinton!! :rotflm:

Last edited:

bobby g

Bob
Corporate Member
I too bought the Hitachi (on sale) and have been very pleased with it. I've still got the old timey Senco in it's broken state.

bobby g

Glennbear

Glenn
I am glad you found a solution :eusa_clap I presume the impetus was the recent toy box build. Over the past few years I have acquired an inventory of pneumatic tools from pin to framing nail sizes. I do not have any brand loyalty and a majority are made overseas. It is darn handy to be able to shoot a fastener to help secure things no matter what the application/material thickness is. :wsmile:

skysharks

New User
John Macmaster
Hey guys, I believe the difference between the 2 guns is that the pin nailer is just that. A small guage nail/pin if you would, that is headless.
I have brad nailers which are fine, however there are times that I need something smaller. So I am in the market for a pin nailer, but I have not one yet local, so I guess I will have to search online for one.

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Hey guys, I believe the difference between the 2 guns is that the pin nailer is just that. A small guage nail/pin if you would, that is headless.
I have brad nailers which are fine, however there are times that I need something smaller. So I am in the market for a pin nailer, but I have not one yet local, so I guess I will have to search online for one.

Lowes has them.

Bob Buchholz

New User
Bob Buchholz
I bought the Grex nailer several years ago right after seeing Norm use one. It shoots a fastener that is the diameter of a straight pin or needle without a head.

Great for holding moulding on until the glue dries or for assembling small boxes. It is amazing to see a 1 3/8 inch (now they go up to two inches) pin shot into red oak without deflecting. They do not mar the wood nearly as much as the brad nailer and if you are going to paint the piece, you really don't even have to fill behind them. The temptation to use them in place of brads without glue is enormous but I have had occasions where the item has been knocked out of place which wouldn't have happened with heavier brad.

In other words, a great tool in addition to your brad nailer, but not a replacement for it.

My two cents.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
I have the grex, too. One of my better purchases, even if they are more expensive than any others. I also have PC brad and finish nailers (came as part of my pancake compressor package), and bostich crown stapler. all of these have great so far.

But I am curious what do you all feel is usage distinction say between pin vs brad and brad vs finish?

reprosser

New User
Rick
I have the Grex pin nailer,
a Bostich brad/finish nailer, (also a $20 HF brad nailer that could not shoot thru oak)
and a Hitachi frame nailer.

All within a few months, so I am a newbie with all of them. Great time savers for me.

I choose the pin nailer for temp connections/glue ups, or if I know I have to take something apart later. The pins don't leave a noticeable hole to repair, but they do tend to break - instead of pulling out if you are not careful.

I choose the brad nailer for more permanent connections, and more strength if needed.

Framing nailer for framing.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I chose the Porter Cable PN138 at the Orange Borg. It is much improved over the PN100, in that it can handle 1 3/8" pins vs. 1" and has a "no fire on empty" feature.

- Ken.

JimD

Jim
Senior User
I like my Bostich pin nailer and Bostich 16 gauge finish nailer. My PC 18 gauge brad nailer used to misfire sometimes but works well now. Bostich has been a good brand for me. I have 2 HF staplers, a narrow rated to shoot 1 1/2 inch staples and a wide crown upholstrey stapler. The latter works fine, the former works fine with 3/4 staples but won't shoot the longer ones, even into softwood, without much higher air pressure than I want to run. I think HF are good buys but not if you need them to drive the maximum length fastener. They are also kind of crude. But for around $20 they are hard to beat. But when "good ones" are about $100 it isn't that tough to get something better either.

Jim

Skymaster

New User
Jack
Steve; a pin nailer is primarily for thin stock, almost invisible holes. I use mine all the time for shelf edging. No need to fill unless u want to. Pin is only 23 guage.
Brad is for heavier materisl, leaves quite a noticeable hole that must be filled; brad is 18 guage. On thin material more likely to split it.
Just for info; they now make a pin with a slight head :} gives the pin a bit more HOLD than headless

Another great use for a pin is molding returns on trim, glue and a pin or 2 put trim up and b done. pin holds,NO splits, glue dries, no-see-um holes :}:}:}

Last edited:

Otis Anderson

New User
Otis
I use the fire out of the Bostich 23g pinner and have never had any trouble out of it. This is for hardwood application on radius type stuff, Only to allow glue to dry and or to use hidden screw application. Strictly speaking though I do not use a pinner or a brad nailer as a primary fastener option.

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Thanks folks for all the replies. I've learned a lot! I bought a brad nailer, but now a pin nailer may be in my future. I can see several uses for one. (Specially after I split a piece of edging with a brad!) :wsmile:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS