pin for trammel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fsdogwood

New User
Pinwu
Here I found a set of trammel, with a missing "pin" , like this:

31WNTPB6K9L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Any suggestion where I could find a spare pin or find a rod to grind one myself?

Regards.

Pinwu

gator

George
Corporate Member
I don't know for a fact but you might check a leather craft shop or store. perhaps a leather awl would work. And I write this it suddenly dawns on me that a HF woodworking awl might be near the right size to cut off and use.

George

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
Find an appropriately sized bolt, cut off the head and grind a point. You can grind an accurate point by rough-shaping the point, e.g. using a bench grinder, then chucking it in a drill-press and using a coarse file, sandpaper and moderate pressure.

BTW, the big boxes sell mild steel rod in various diameters.

-Mark

sbarnhardt

New User
Barney
Don't know which metal would work best, but speaking from a past job in a welding supply store, they usually stock various and sundry "filler metals" in sizes ranging from 1/16 inch to 1/4 inch diameter and 36 inch long. Expect to find copper coated steel rod, uncoated steel rod, brass/bronze, stainless, aluminum and possibly some more exotic alloys. Easy jump to cut to length and grind to a point. Plenty in one piece to experiment with.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
The tungsten electrodes for TIG welding also come in a variety of diameters. I use a 3/32 one for making marking gauges. Any welding classes (HS or Community College) near you that might have a spare one?

Go

BSHuff

New User
Brian
several good answers, I would not do the welding filler rod, it is very soft and bendy. A tungsten would work, but while they are quite hard they are also brittle and can shatter. Would worry about the tungsten where the pin is clamped in, that is a big stress riser.

Probably the best plan, would be to get a piece of tool steel drill rod (oil hardening) from somewhere like Enco. http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INPDFF?PMPAGE=852&PMITEM=408-0005
File the tip down to the profile you need. You could then heat treat it with a propane/MAPP torch and quench in oil, then temper it in your oven (if you go that route there is a procedure for it, that is homeshop doable for a part like this). But you would likely be good with just the drill rod.

Another plan, is if you are running your origin point from a place 'off piece' is to drill a piece of scrap to use as a pivot point and clamp the drill bit in the trammel..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors