Piggy Cutting Board

Status
Not open for further replies.

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
My mother-in-law decided for Christmas I was to make her a cutting board. So we took the shop, pulls some scraps, and whipped something up. This is padauk and hard maple endgrain, later turned into a piggy shape. Turned out pretty neat though, will have to make more next year.

Photo_Dec_26_3_16_17_PM.png

Photo_Dec_26_3_31_41_PM.png

Photo_Dec_27_9_06_41_AM.png

JGregJ

Greg
User
Oink, Oink. Not that I've looked at that many cutting boards, but interested in using the wood in this end grain orientation. Does this help hide the scratches from cutting? Alternatively does it tend to absorb more liquids? It looks great, lot more character from the end grain.

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
Oink, Oink. Not that I've looked at that many cutting boards, but interested in using the wood in this end grain orientation. Does this help hide the scratches from cutting? Alternatively does it tend to absorb more liquids? It looks great, lot more character from the end grain.

The end grain is harder and handles the knife a little better. Not sure about hiding the scratches though, they are inevitable. I finished this with multiple coats of the Watco Butcher Block oil, so it really shouldn't absorb any liquid as long as that is maintained, I believe.

Howard Acheson

New User
Howard
The reason that butcher's blocks and boards are made with end grain is that the cuts in the end grain tend to "heal" and somewhat close up. With an end grain orientation the grain is spread apart rather than cut.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Does anyone have a suggestion for State shapes?

(A good friend asked for a Michigan cutting board)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS