'Pig'ging Out!

Status
Not open for further replies.

timf67

New User
Tim
I thought I would post my latest project because I am thrilled with the reduction in time it takes me to produce these 'guys.' My dad has been making pig shaped cutting boards as gifts for friends and family for as long as I can remember. He has two paper templates (for a big pig and a little pig) and he traces the pig onto a board and cuts them out on a bandsaw then sands them. Several years ago I made a dozen of the little pigs for gifts and I "improved" the process by making a router template out of 1/4" thick ABS plastic. This let me quickly rough the shape on the bandsaw and then template route the pig to final shape followed by a quick spindle sanding around the edges. This was still very time consuming and at times stressful trying to not screw up a pig on the bandsaw or router (and believe me, a few of them didn't survive! LOL). This year, my wife wanted me to make 20 pigs for her employees and some friends. I decided to re-create the pig in a CAD file which also allowed me to add a curly tail with the Ally 'A' logo (my wife works for Ally Bank). Last night I was able use my CNC machine to knock out 10 pigs in an hour (not including milling the rough lumber and having to empty out my 55 gallon dust collection drum - nothing fills up the DC bin faster than planing lumber!). Here are a few pictures of the finished pigs. After I cut 10 more tonight, I will finish them with my homemade beeswax and mineral oil blend.

IMG_4774.jpgIMG_4773.jpgIMG_4776.jpgIMG_4775.jpgIMG_4767.jpg

Herdfan2005

New User
Jason
I love them. Nice job. Is that maple being used. My wood identification process is a work in progress. What kind of CNC do you use?

timf67

New User
Tim
I love them. Nice job. Is that maple being used. My wood identification process is a work in progress. What kind of CNC do you use?

It is a mix of yellow birch and red elm. The yellow birch resembles maple and the red elm looks similar to red oak. The CNC that I use is a DIY kit from Grunblau design studio called the Platform CNC. Here is a pic:
IMG_4665.jpg

riggsp

Phil
Corporate Member
Nice project !...CNC machines sure make a difference in time spent...I'm working on 2 projects for a friend of mine to use on his lathe right now...A Longworth style chuck and a Steady Rest.

TENdriver

New User
TENdriver
Those are awesome. Whoever came up with the tail concept, it’s pretty clever!!!

Did you consider scaling up the tail to strengthen those weaker short grain areas? It might be an acceptable design cue given the extra meaning of the tails.

kserdar

Ken
Senior User
Since you are using a CNC router ... Did you think about V-Carving things like year/date, who from, famous quote (like "buy low, sell high") ...

timf67

New User
Tim
Those are awesome. Whoever came up with the tail concept, it’s pretty clever!!!

Did you consider scaling up the tail to strengthen those weaker short grain areas? It might be an acceptable design cue given the extra meaning of the tails.

We wanted to put the logo somewhere on the pig, and my wife wanted to do it like a brand on the hip, but I wanted a curly tail and thought I could work in the logo. It worked out well. The ta is connected to the body, so I am not too worried about it. Maybe I’ll test drop one to see how it fares. Thanks for the feedback!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS