Picked up a Sargent 1080. Looking for cutters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
Picked up this Sargent 1080 combination plane recently. It is in excellent condition and appears to have seen very little use. Unfortunately, it only came with a single cutter, which was/is installed in the plane. So, the hunt for a set of cutters has started. If anyone has a lead on a set, please let me know.

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

This will be my second attempt at learning to use a combination plane. I bought a Stanley 45 from a member here a while back but could never really figure out how to make it work. I traded it to another member for a plane that I knew I could use and really needed at the time. This time I am determined to figure out how to makes this thing work.

Attachments

• 20180604_143805.jpg
    20180604_143805.jpg
    277.4 KB · Views: 339
  • 20180604_143824.jpg
    20180604_143824.jpg
    224.3 KB · Views: 395
  • 20180604_143842.jpg
    20180604_143842.jpg
    256.3 KB · Views: 355

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Mark,
Will Stanley 45 cutters work in the Sargent?

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
You could file an addition notch in the Stanley to make it work in either plane. Much easier to find the Stanley blades.

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
You could file an addition notch in the Stanley to make it work in either plane. Much easier to find the Stanley blades.

Filing a notch (or two) might work, but I am not in a big rush. I can wait until I find a Sargent set.

Can you post a picture?
Are they like the Stanley 55?

Here is a Sargent 1080 set:
attachment.php

And a Stanley 55 set:
attachment.php

Attachments

• 1080 cutters.jpg
    1080 cutters.jpg
    213.3 KB · Views: 353
  • Stanley 55 cuttres.jpg
    Stanley 55 cuttres.jpg
    190.3 KB · Views: 339

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
Did you find some? I'll be near one of my hot spots for vintage tools later this week if you want me to check.

nn4jw

New User
Jim
I was going to post an eBay link for a set of Sargent cutters, but I believe your cutter set picture above is from that eBay sale and you are already aware of it.

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
I was going to post an eBay link for a set of Sargent cutters, but I believe your cutter set picture above is from that eBay sale and you are already aware of it.

Yes. That set just doesn't loo right to me.

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
Shoot. The hunt continues. Thanks for checking that out. :thumbs_up

No problem. PM me your contact information and if I find a set I'll give you a call. If I get the chance I'll run north next week and see if I can find some at a few spots I know.

meikj

New User
JohnM
I have a Sargent 1080 in a box somewhere (haven't finished unpacking the shop!) but I'll look and take some photos of the blades. You might want to check with St. James Bay Tool - he makes a lot of blades, blanks, etc. and might have something - https://www.stjamesbaytoolco.com

-- John

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
I checked this item on eBay. Those cutters looked a little rough to me. A lot of them appear to have pitting on the back.

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
I was able to find a decent set of 21 cutters. Missing a few, but I can pick those up if I run across them down the road. Looking forward to getting them sharpened up so I can start to learn how to use this thing.

Thanks for all the help and advice. Big thanks to Chris C. for checking some of his haunts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS