Picked Up A Couple Of Planes Today

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken Massingale

New User
Ken
I stopped by a yard sale on the way to town and a couple of goodies came home with me. No real bargins, but they looked sad out in the Sun.

$10

Baily%20N0%205.JPG

$25

Big%20Plane.JPG

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Looks like you bought some work. :rotflm:

I can't pass up a good deal on a couple hours work myself. :dontknow:

M

McRabbet

Ken,

I hate to burst your bubble, but I think I found a better bargain today myself. It may not be as old, but it is in excellent shape -- no rust, original (but damaged) box, instruction manual and even a sharp iron! The only replacement part (I suspect) is the slotted set screw knob for holding the fence onto the rod. It even has the original papers that the tool was packed in with the Stanley logo imprinted on it. It is a Stanley 78 Duplex Filletster and McRabbet Plane made in England. Oh, yeah -- I paid $25 for it!

100_5610.jpg

Ken Massingale

New User
Ken
Ken,

I hate to burst your bubble, but I think I found a better bargain today myself. It may not be as old, but it is in excellent shape -- no rust, original (but damaged) box, instruction manual and even a sharp iron! The only replacement part (I suspect) is the slotted set screw knob for holding the fence onto the rod. It even has the original papers that the tool was packed in with the Stanley logo imprinted on it. It is a Stanley 78 Duplex Filletster and McRabbet Plane made in England. Oh, yeah -- I paid $25 for it!

100_5610.jpg

I feel so humbled..

And you should go buy a lottery ticket!

That's the best deal I've seen lately.

dkeller_nc

New User
David
I stopped by a yard sale on the way to town and a couple of goodies came home with me. No real bargins, but they looked sad out in the Sun.

Ken - The Stanley looks to be a Sweetheart vintage. If you'd like to clean off the rust the easy way, pick up a couple of packets of citric acid at the local home brewery supply store, or (some) drugstores. Nice thing about citric is that it's way cheaper than evaporust, does the same job without damaging the japanning or the (unrusted) steel, and is safe - it won't burn your skin. About a teaspoon per quart of warm tapwater and a couple of hours will do the work of several hours of sweaty lapping, sanding and scraping.

The woodie looks like a fore plane (about 22"). I've a beat-up Ohio Tools that's the most used plane in my shop. I ground the iron to a 10" radius, and it's FAR less work to take the rough milling marks off of rough-sawn stock than any of my metal planes.

Mark Stewart

New User
Mark
I am very jelous of both of you guys. Every time I go out looking I find the big fat goose egg. I have never used a plane but as a novice ww I feel I need to own at least a few(dont you think?).

Good haul all around
Thanks Mark

Splint Eastwood

New User
Matt
Ken, Excellant buys ! What size is the STanley? #4 ?

Rob, Who did you mug to get that deal ? '

I guess I need to get off my E-BAy arse and do some garage sale ing :tool:

M

McRabbet

Rob, Who did you mug to get that deal ?

I must admit I was lucky -- I bought it from a new member of our Western NC Woodworkers Association at our meeting today -- he is a long-time member of M-WTCA (I met him at the Chattanooga National meeting 2 years ago and he was at Ed Hobbs a few weeks ago) and he was selling it for a neighbor of his who didn't need it! Fortunately, Bob didn't need it either as he had several rabbet planes already. When he asked me today if anyone would be interested in it, I jumped at the opportunity! As Mel Brooks once said "It's good to be the King!" (I'm President of WNCWA.)

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Ken, you did a good thing. Getting those planes out of the hot sun shows that no tool goes cold and hungry while we are on patrol!

Rob, I'll trade you a vintage Unisaw for that plane :p

I think its time I start going out on the hunt.... er I mean missions of tool mercy :)

Jim

Splint Eastwood

New User
Matt
Ken, you did a good thing. Getting those planes out of the hot sun shows that no tool goes cold and hungry while we are on patrol!

Rob, I'll trade you a vintage Unisaw for that plane :p

I think its time I start going out on the hunt.... er I mean missions of tool mercy :)

Jim

Jim, I couldn't agree more. Ken did do a good thing!

I have my own personal agenda as well. I call it : My Economic Stimulus Plan: No TOOL LEFT BEHIND! :gar-Bi. Please won't you join me, in keeping the economy going by adopting an old tooll!

Ken Massingale

New User
Ken
It's a #5 Matt, somewhere under all the crud.

David, thanks for the tip on citric acid, I'll try to find some. Not any local home brewery stores around here, just moonshiners!

Hey David.
I'm seeing food grade and technical grade (not for food usage?) online. Will food grade work or do I need technical grade?
Thanks again.

Last edited:

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
I don't wanna rehash de-rusting unless you'd like to. Many folks here have got great threads on the topic. Electrolysis, citric acid, evaporust and my method of choice "potato water".

The Tool Search & Rescue Professional spends more time than the average joe removing rust :)

Jim

dkeller_nc

New User
David
It's a #5 Matt, somewhere under all the crud.

David, thanks for the tip on citric acid, I'll try to find some. Not any local home brewery stores around here, just moonshiners!

Hey David.
I'm seeing food grade and technical grade (not for food usage?) online. Will food grade work or do I need technical grade?
Thanks again.

Ken - Technical grade will certainly work for this application. Usually, "technical grade" is a bit cheaper than "food grade", where regulatory compliance issues make it more expensive. However, sometimes you can buy smaller quantities of food-grade, so the actual bill is lower than for the minimum size for technical grade.

Generally speaking, you don't need all that much to de-rust a few tools. Perhaps 50 g or so should last you a very long time. Of course, if you've got a wagon load to treat, then you might want the 1lb. size. :gar-Bi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors