Pick a color

Status
Not open for further replies.

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
Rustic in White Oak for a dining room set.

???

attachment.php

Attachments

• A03085E4-CC6B-4DC1-8D37-CC6C0C4D251A.jpeg
    A03085E4-CC6B-4DC1-8D37-CC6C0C4D251A.jpeg
    632.2 KB · Views: 260

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have always leaned toward the natural wood color, Willem. However, that can change depending on the decor of the dining room.

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
I have always leaned toward the natural wood color, Willem. However, that can change depending on the decor of the dining room.

Confession here, I have never stained a piece before, after building 1000's of bf furniture and cabinets. I always pick prized hard woods for their color and use a professional sprayed clear coat.

This time though, my son wanted something rustic in dark colors, so it was not worth the money (rustic) to do Walnut, or an exotic dark wood. Hence White Oak to be stained. I purposely selected wood full of knots and I think the end product will look great, but yes, not my thing personally.

Jim M.

Woody
Corporate Member
If staining is a must do, then my vote is for Jacobean. I like the warmth and how the grain pops.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
If you need to darken the wood, I would use a dye rather than stain. I've done a few pieces in White Oak for my daughter where I darkened the piece w/ dye, then topcoated by spraying either shellac or lacquer.

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
If you need to darken the wood, I would use a dye rather than stain. I've done a few pieces in White Oak for my daughter where I darkened the piece w/ dye, then topcoated by spraying either shellac or lacquer.

The samples were done with Minwax stain. I have a whole bunch of Transtint dies, normally use them when I do a wood filler, or try to match a repair task. They are great. I used Transtint once on the Back of a veneered headboard for a King bed and the challenge was to get uniform color when spraying where the coats overlap. I am hesitant to try a die on a large table top, as I want the color to be absolutely uniform, which is easy with Minwax using their pre-stain conditioner. The samples are not top coated, that will be a post cat varnish sprayed which enriches the color extremely well.

unimog

New User
CHO
Something I have been considering for a future table and benches set, is a two tone. I fell like it will give more rustic appearance to new furniture.
From your color selection ebony stained for table base and chair frame and natural for table top and chair top may be an option.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Jacobean but not Minwax. Use a dye sprayed on, much easier and better fade resistance

cyclopentadiene

Update your profile with your name
User
Fume with ammonia followed by waterlox. The fuming will age the oak to look like a 100 year old antique by accellerating the natural tannic acid photodegradation

Last edited:

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
I used "OLD MASTERS" brown mahogany on red oak for my son's mantle, hall table , picture frames, bench and other items after he saw it on our kitchen cabinets. I had always used minwax stains before ---------but I really like the brown mahogany on red oak the best over any of the walnut or Jacobean stains by minwax.

Just my preference----Jerry

Bear Republic

Steve
Corporate Member
I also love the natural characteristics of wood, but if the request was forv darker, Jacobean. Ebony does it a disservice.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I always go for the natural look, but in this case, the ebony is my favorite. I think it would do well in a variety of settings, and not look out of place when mixed with some more modern furniture.

+1 on dye vs stain

Mrfixit71

Board of Directors, Treasurer
Rich
Staff member
Corporate Member
Classic Grey, but if that isn't dark enough, Jacobean.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors