Photos in portrait orientation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I can't seem to figure out how to post photos that use portrait orientation. Photos uploaded to the gallery as-is from the camera automatically rotate to landscape. Edited photos appear fine as portrait thumbnails in the gallery, but are then "stretched" when viewed. Regardless of what it looks like in the gallery, in a post it's always a landscape orientation.

I don't remember this being a problem before, was something changed recently?

Touchwood

New User
Don
Hi Bas
Yep...I hear you. I wasted a lot of time trying to get them posted correctly...some PM back and forth resulted in the suggestion" go back and re-shoot the pictures with a different camera orientation". This was never a problem in the past...like a year or so ago. I did manage to post some vertical pictures back in June (Grandmother Clock) but I was able to edit the pictures on the site. Cant do that either now.
I ended up using a program called Hypersnap to get the right image and reduced the pixel count to something that would upload in a reasonable time.
Good luck

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
I rotate the photo and adjust the image size using GIMP (I am using Linux, but it is also available for Windows). I then export it as a .jpg file which is what I then upload. GIMP is a free open source program, and is somewhat comparable to Photoshop. It is very easy to crop, rotate, and resize your pics.

Go

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
The picture upload software we're using takes into account the additional information your cell phone provides and tries to (unsuccessfully) re-orient the picture to the way that you took it.

That often is inaccurate to the way you want it oriented. You have to use some kind of picture editing software to make it right since the raw picture will be interpreted by our current software to make it think it is the correct orientation - though it isn't.

Hopefully the new software we're working on will do a better job of orienting pictures. I know this is a recurring problem and recurring complaint.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Thanks Ken. I'll see if I can find an editor that can change the Exif metadata. I know the photo gallery software is old, and it's not that easy to replace.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors