Photo upload

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ralrick

New User
Rick
When you select 'upload photos' you are no longer presented with the option to select the photo's to upload. I'm presented with the screen showing the button to upload the photo's but nothing that allows the identification or selection of which photos. Hope that makes sense . . . .

Rick

Ralrick

New User
Rick
anyway you can post a pic of your screen . . . . mine does not seem to show any place to select the photo's to upload?

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
When you select 'upload photos' you are no longer presented with the option to select the photo's to upload. I'm presented with the screen showing the button to upload the photo's but nothing that allows the identification or selection of which photos. Hope that makes sense . . . .

Rick

If I may ask... Are you certain you are not possibly confusing the Attachment Manager or Insert Image button (which also goes through the Attachment Manager in the background) with either our long standing Photo Gallery (accessible from the Gallery tab on the main menu bar, from where such photos may then be uploaded) or with the Attachment Manager interface proper (which is accessible from the paper clip icon on the right-hand side of the top row when using the Advanced Editor, but not while in the Quick Reply Editor)?

There are multiple ways to upload photos to the site and then insert or attach them to posts. The original, and oldest, means is via our Photo Gallery by navigating to the "Gallery" section on the main menu bar. You may then upload images to your personal gallery from within that area then later insert them into your posts via the "My Photos" button (looks like a camera resting in a hand) or by copying and pasting the relevant BBcode directly from the Gallery viewing area when viewing a single photo (the box that displays the possible URLs and BBcode is usually off to the lower right-hand side of the page when viewing a single image in the Gallery). But the "My Photos" button is the simplest way to drop Gallery photos directly into your posts.

You can simultaneously upload and attach new photos via the "Insert Image" button and they will be both inserted into your post and uploaded into your Attachment Manager. This, however, does not place photos into your Photo Gallery as that feature is entirely separate from the Attachments Manager as they ate two completely different storage areas with very different capabilities and means of use.

And, finally, there is the Attachment Manager interface proper, which is accessible from the Advanced Editor (if in the Quick Reply Editor then click the "Go Advanced" button below the textbox). While in the Advanced Editor interface you click the paper clip icon on the far right-hand of the top row to open the Attachment Manager interface in a popup window. From here you may either upload new photos to add to your post or select from existing Attachment assets that you wish to insert (though this last option, selecting existing assets, does not function on iOS mobile devices). Then click the "Insert Inline" button at the top to complete inserting the new photos in your post and making them visible inline (and not just as appended links).

Many find the Attachment Manager and the Insert Photo buttons to be the quickest and easiest way to insert new photos into their posts, particularly when they need to simultaneously upload the new photos while editing their post. However, Attachment photos may only be viewed from within the thread they were originally inserted into. There is no way for other members to browse the contents of your Attachment Manager assets except in those original posts and threads...unlike with the older Photo Gallery option where your photos may be viewed at any time by any visitor who wished to browse your collection. That is why the Photo Gallery is likely to remain for the foreseeable future (or as long as its codebase is supported) as it is a wonderful site asset and many of us enjoy it even today.

So there are a number of ways to go about uploading and inserting photos into one's posts. Use whichever feature best serves your needs or goals at the time, each has its own pros and cons and tradeoffs versus benefits.

Ralrick

New User
Rick
Ethan -

Would you be able to send me your email address in a PM so I can send you a screen pic. Neither the upload photo options in the gallery nor the insert image links provide a way for me to select photo's to upload.

Joe may be right that I have another program blocking the function but I've used this computer for a couple years now and never had a problem in the past. Maybe it is something our corporate IT has added to our machines . . . . . I'm going to try from another computer this afternoon to see if it works differently.

thanks,
Rick

Ralrick

New User
Rick
Just tested the upload photo link under gallery on my home computer. The link does provide the option to upload 5 photos when accessing through Chrome but when I switched over to IE, then my home computer had the same screen as my laptop with no option for actually selecting photo's.

Any idea's on how to correct? Anyone else using Windows 7 with IE and able to upload photo's?

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
Just tested the upload photo link under gallery on my home computer. The link does provide the option to upload 5 photos when accessing through Chrome but when I switched over to IE, then my home computer had the same screen as my laptop with no option for actually selecting photo's.

Any idea's on how to correct? Anyone else using Windows 7 with IE and able to upload photo's?

There are some site issues at the moment that are particularly affecting Windows desktop web browsers. That much I can confirm at this time.

With regards to the Photo Gallery I have gone ahead and disabled Flash support, that sucks in the sense that the Flash interface is a much nicer interface when it comes to selecting and uploading files, but at least everyone should now be able upload photos to the Gallery so far as I can tell, even if they must be selected just one at a time (everyone will see the same screen to upload up to five individual photos, you can no longer select many photos to upload in one sitting).

With respect to the "Insert Image" button, it will not work for many Windows Desktop web browsers (it does work fine on mobile as far as I can test), so if it is working it is safe to use, but does not work for all right now. You can get around the issue by switching to the Advanced Editor (using "Go Advanced" button if presently on the Quick Reply Editor), uploading your photos within the Attachment Manager interface (upper right-hand corner), then be sure to click the "Insert Inline" button, followed by the "Done" button when finished to return to the post you were composing -- but remember to click the "Insert Inline" button (bottom right-hand) or the photos will likely only show as clickable text links within your post.

I suspect this is fallout from changes that were made regarding either the new Chat software or the Raffle (but most likely the Chat software as there is nothing new with regards to the Raffle). I do know that SSL settings are horribly fouled up right now with many pages that should be unencrypted getting encrypted (not a lot of point to encrypting already public content, we ordinarily only encrypt more sensitive content) and that, in an uncontrolled manner, can cause endless headaches due to unintended mixed content issues, which may well be what is breaking things. Unfortunately I did not make these changes so I do not know why they were made nor have I been able to get any info as to what all, precisely, was changed...which makes it e Verdi guy difficult to figure out what is going on at the moment.

Ralrick

New User
Rick
Whatever change you made works for my computers using Windows and IE. If this is not the best solution for the entire group, please reverse and I'll just plan to use a computer with Chrome or firefox for future.

thanks,
Rick

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
Whatever change you made works for my computers using Windows and IE. If this is not the best solution for the entire group, please reverse and I'll just plan to use a computer with Chrome or firefox for future.

thanks,
Rick

You are not the problem right now. The issue seems to affect most desktop web browsers in Windows at present.

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
You are not the problem right now. The issue seems to affect most desktop web browsers in Windows at present.

Ethan I like to upload photos to my albums in the Gallery. I have found this works well when I want to upload 10-15 photos at a time. Now when I go to upload, I have to choose one at a time and I am limited to 5 pictures maximum.

Is this my computer or is this part of the changes that are happening here as we trouble shoot photo insert issues?

Thank you
Dan

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
Ethan I like to upload photos to my albums in the Gallery. I have found this works well when I want to upload 10-15 photos at a time. Now when I go to upload, I have to choose one at a time and I am limited to 5 pictures maximum.

Is this my computer or is this part of the changes that are happening here as we trouble shoot photo insert issues?

Thank you
Dan

It is related to the changes in effect for the time being. Until I know why the changes that likely created the original fallout were made I have had to revert things to a more primitive state that should hopefully work for everyone despite the underlying problems caused by SSL being turned on in all the wrong places right now creating mixed content issues that are affecting site features that depend upon the ability to load external support code such as JavaScript or Flash.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS