PHENOLIC ADHESIVES?

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Before I start cutting and making some jigs from 1/2" phenolic, what adhesives if any, have any of you used with phenolic? CA is the only adhesive I have on hand that will work, but I'm leary of using it on larger applications.
Also, I still have a number of sheets of 1/2" phenolic to sell. Klingspors has a good inventory of 1/2 and 3/4" sheets too. Give a shout if you have a need, really great bargain prices still.
1/2" $7 per square foot and 3/4" $8 per square foot.

pcooper

Phillip Cooper
Corporate Member
Depending on how you want to join jigs, I've been drilling and tapping parts and doing counter sink areas on the other piece and using regular machine screws. This stuff drills and taps wonderfully as long as you lubricate and go slow as with any other kind of threading. Another good side of threads, you can take it apart when you make a mistake...ask me how I know that... :)

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Phenolic is great stuff, we made some "slam blocks" that are just 2 piece screwed together. Then, we clamp it on something we need to hit with a sledge hammer. No marks and takes the beating ;)

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Thanks guys, it's time I use up some pieces. Still have about 9 full sheets on hand and I sure could use the room. Drill press table and TS jigs. Should also make some great tabletops, I'll just see what happens when I start making phenolic dust.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Melamine adhesive? I use it to glue melamine to almost anything, including itself. Also use it to assemble prefinished plywood, no sanding necessary. I prefer TiteBond over Wilsonart's adhesive, as it doesn't separate.

Woodman2k

Greg Bender
Corporate Member
Bruce,
I'm in the same boat as I am making a clone of a unnamed router table and i'm also in the process of assembling a large melamine project and have the glue out. I will report the results. BTW, Bruce,do you have any 3/4" left over? The full sheets you still have are 1/2"? I hope you are well,
Greg

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
I do still have full sheets of 1/2", in 3/4" I have 2 router table top blanks, 1- 24" x 40" in brown and 1- 24" x 36" in white. For full or larger pieces of 3/4" Klingspors has all the other sheets in stock in 3/4 and 1/2" sheets and partial sheets. Available at super bargain prices. 3/4" @8.00 per 4' and 1/2" @ 7.00 per 4'.
What I have at home is $6.00 per 4', sheets are 5' x 5'
If you are interested in what I have here shoot me a PM. and thank you Greg.

nn4jw

New User
Jim
Depending on how you want to join jigs, I've been drilling and tapping parts and doing counter sink areas on the other piece and using regular machine screws. This stuff drills and taps wonderfully as long as you lubricate and go slow as with any other kind of threading. Another good side of threads, you can take it apart when you make a mistake...ask me how I know that... :)

What do you use for lubrication for tapping? Surely not the same cutting fluids for metals?

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Yes, cutting fluid would work well and comes in small cans ready to squirt on. Soapy water might also work for phenolics, but that is just a guess on my part. I may try it in a week or two. Needing to make a sled or two more.

Woodman2k

Greg Bender
Corporate Member
Fair warning, it will heat up your tooling so especially if your tapping below 1/4-20 using a quality tap is going to make a difference.

Woodman2k

Greg Bender
Corporate Member
Bruce,
As soon as this shitty weather goes away I will get back to you for your address and head up to visit. I'm doing my Woodpecker router table with lift and could use some more project stuff. When you get a chance send me a PM with phone and address.
Hope all is well and we will see you soon. PS I was forced into retirement by IR so I have some woodworking time finally.
Greg B
I do still have full sheets of 1/2", in 3/4" I have 2 router table top blanks, 1- 24" x 40" in brown and 1- 24" x 36" in white. For full or larger pieces of 3/4" Klingspors has all the other sheets in stock in 3/4 and 1/2" sheets and partial sheets. Available at super bargain prices. 3/4" @8.00 per 4' and 1/2" @ 7.00 per 4'.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Interesting Greg, my brother worked for them for quite a few years maintaining compressor stations in Eastern Kentucky, then Oklahoma City in the parts distribution center. He left them and moved to FL where the fish were bigger etc. where he worked for the city water dept. in a couple of places. I have an IR 7000 Watt generator out here I cannot find even 1 sentence about anywhere. PM on the way.

BobYon

New User
Bob

I've been dreaming of building a router table/cabinet and that phenolic sounds perfect. Please let me know what you have available.

BML

Lee
Senior User
I used phenolic for reenforcing the tips of recurve bows and always used standard epoxy.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS