Personal Computer hardware issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Grumble Grumble Grumble.....

Power supply is now a no-power supply.

This is coming from my 11 year old desktop (yes, antique tools, antique computers....)

Hope to have it replaced tomorrow, but I might not be quite as, uhm, helpful till then.......

Jim

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
I might have a spare if you want me to ship it to ya. I've got a few kicking around.

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Mighty kind of ya. If you didn't have to ship it, I'd be all over your offer.

I can get a new one for around $20, so probably not worth the cost of shipping. Gonna head out tomorrow to pick one up. Not sure how I will make it through the night.........

Thanks though!

Jim

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
Yeah...this distance thing gets in the way. You're not too far from Tiger Direct (or is it CompUSA now?), I'd imagine they'd have a pretty good deal on one.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I have a old PC I no longer use. It's definitely not modern, but I think it's only 8 years old. That's practically space age compared to an 11 year old machine!
If you want it, it's yours. I'm not exactly next door to Hillsborough, but if you're in the Raleigh area sometime soon...

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
I appreciate the offers. I pulled some old power supplies from my stash. Turns out the new SATA harddrives have a special power plug that was not around back in aught '98.

I was surprised to find out you don't have to hand crank the newer powersupplies to get the computer started.......(Old car joke)

Progress? Humbug.

Jim

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
Someone may have an adapter that goes from the 4 pin plug to the sata plug. I know where some are down here, but alas, I'm too far away.

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
I happen to have one myself.

Then comes the main power. The plug that goes on the motherboard is totally different and I won't even go into PCI-Express.

Progress, I'm telling you, its a good thing. :XXcompute:BangHead:

I'm thinking about just hooking up my jumper cables to the truck.......

:)

Jim

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
Jim...sounds like you're having the same troubles I was having tearing down and piecing together a couple of computers. I really need to break down and buy new parts :(

Best of luck with your truck. It does provide twelve volts ;-)

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
$50 and some labor on my part, I'm back in biz! :3dblob3:

I must say, spending a few bucks more for a quiet powersupply is night and day different.

I had to store my desktop in a closet, the fan was too loud.

Happy happy.

Thanks for all the kind offers.

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS