Permanent marker pens

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User
Most of my impact sockets have nice clear markings on them even my old eyes can see, but I have some that just have faint etched outlines that I have to hold up to the light and squint to see.

I'm looking for a white or maybe silver permanent marker that is durable and easy to use, i.e., won't blob or run. Anybody have a recommendation?

Thanks.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
I use the liquid white chalk markers. I bought a set because I needed contrast, but other than they are not as fine a tip I would desire, they are a real go to for me.

Something like this :

chalk markers

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
One alternative is a label maker. The tape is available in different degrees of tack.
4778D597-5A1F-41D9-AA19-0E91495B9C5F.jpeg

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Most of my impact sockets have nice clear markings on them even my old eyes can see, but I have some that just have faint etched outlines that I have to hold up to the light and squint to see.

I'm looking for a white or maybe silver permanent marker that is durable and easy to use, i.e., won't blob or run. Anybody have a recommendation?

Thanks.
Sharpie makes a silver version but you'd probably need to go to Office Depot to find them like I did some years ago. Not sure about the durability on tools. though. FWIW, I have the same problem, especially with older and black impact sockets. Newer sockets are laser etched by some makers using LARGE fonts. I like.

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member

Thanks.
These are great:

Barry W

Co-Director of Outreach
Barry
Corporate Member
These are great:

I have applied these to all my 3/8" sockets and they are great. Impact and 1/2" sockets are on the to-do list.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
These are great:
@PeteM I use my sockets in somewhat dirty / greasy conditions - think oil change spark plugs etc.
Do you know if these "stickers" hold-up in that environment?

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
@PeteM I use my sockets in somewhat dirty / greasy conditions - think oil change spark plugs etc.
Do you know if these "stickers" hold-up in that environment?

I own 2 Jaguars and do my own work so you know they get well used!
Dirt and grease are no problem. They're cheap and easy to replace if you scrape them up.
I don't normally recommend products but these have been one of my best buys.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I own 2 Jaguars and do my own work so you know they get well used!
Dirt and grease are no problem. They're cheap and easy to replace if you scrape them up.
I don't normally recommend products but these have been one of my best buys.
Thank you - on order NOW! @https://smile.amazon.com/

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
I’m the guy whose mileage varies.

Tried the stick on labels and they tend to peel off.
I cleaned the sockets with alcohol before labeling.
Maybe I have greasy fingers.

Worst on the small sockets.
I’ll have to try the fill in stick

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
I’m the guy whose mileage varies.

Tried the stick on labels and they tend to peel off.
I cleaned the sockets with alcohol before labeling.
Maybe I have greasy fingers.

Worst on the small sockets.
I’ll have to try the fill in stick

Possibly you used a different brand.
I've been using them for years and never had one peel off.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS