Pennsylvania Spice Box

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Pennsylvania Spice Box

Reproduction of a special box that would have been made in Chester County, Pennsylvania during the late 1700's
Period-correct joinery, glue and finish. Available in cherry or walnut with poplar or maple secondary wood.
Commissions now being accepted - Build time will be 150 days

$6000 with 50% down. Shipping to lower 48 states included

IMG_4257.jpg

IMG_4262.jpg

IMG_4109.jpg

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Beautiful work! You have always been an excellent woodworker, but I can see that you have acquired some new skills and/or resurrected skills that you haven't used in a while. If sale of these beauties is part of your retirement planning, you need to consider increasing the price or ramping up you production schedule! :)

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
Really nice work Phil!!’

How did you do the bead inside the door? With a cutter and jig, or after door assembly?

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Really nice work Phil!!’

How did you do the bead inside the door? With a cutter and jig, or after door assembly?
Before assembly. On the first couple boxes I used a Ron Hock scratch stock for the straight pieces and a Lie Nielsen model for the curve. I use the Lie Nielsen for all the beading now

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
Before assembly. On the first couple boxes I used a Ron Hock scratch stock for the straight pieces and a Lie Nielsen model for the curve. I use the Lie Nielsen for all the beading now
Thanks Phil,

More questions about the bead inside the door.

What joinery are you using for the stiles and rails?

To allow the miter of the bead, additional milling was necessary to mate the stiles with the rails. Did you do that by hand, or with a dedicated cutter?

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS