Pen presentation boxes

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I know there is no turning at all involved with these, but the whole purpose behind their creation is to hold turned pens, so I thought this would be an appropriate place to post it (Moderators do your work if deemed unworthy :lol: :lol: )
One of my Xmas gift is planned to be pen & pencil sets for my Dad and FIL. I wanted to make the boxes for the sets to go in. I know I could have bought them for MUCH less than I made them for, but just couldn't. I knew the first question would be, did I make the boxes. I just couldn't say, "No, I bought them for $5.50 at Woodcraft".
Although I will say unless you just enjoy woodworking and have nothing else to do, buy them at Woodcraft. They took most of the day to day to make and finish :eusa_doh:

Pens_040.jpg

Trying different light

Pens_041.jpg

They are made out of Lacewood which is either Cordwellia sublimia or Roupala brasiliensa not our native Sycamore (Platanus occidentalis) which when quartersawn is often called Lacewood also.

And last, so this really qualifies as a woodturning thread, another pen. This is a mystery wood given to me by Clay (Thanks :-D ) I think it is Walnut, or at least it felt like it while turning it.

Pens_038.jpg

Nothing special, just trying to take better pics for ya'll to critique.
Dave:)

Big Mike

New User
Mike
Your pen boxes are wonderful, Dave. I bet you wonder how in the world they can make them and sell them for $5 at Woodcraft....But the best part is that you are giving them more than a container you made to hold a pen and pencil set. You are giving them a container to hold a pen and a pencil that is already filled with love. That is why woodworking is so rewarding.

Eaglesc

New User
Eagle
I learned ealy on what you discovered.
Your boxes are beautiful!Also the fact that you can make them in diffrent woods.
The othre thing I have found is the finish on the boxes is no where near the quality that I like to have on my finished flatwork.
I have one customer who want onlky boxes that I make.
Even when I told her that they would need to cost more.Even at $15.00 per I am losing money/time.

cskipper

Cathy
LOML made the boxes we used for giving pens last Christmas. They were sharp and added to making the gifts from both of us.

cskipper

Cathy
It was my experience last year that finishing these boxes was more labor intensive than making them. How did you finish them?

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Wonderful work, Dave!!! :eusa_danc :eusa_danc :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

I am sure that these box's are by far more unique than you could have pick up at Woodcraft or anywhere else for that matter!!!!!

Are you using barrel hinges?

Oh ya. The pen is awesome as well!

I gotta try turning, some day!

Thanks for the pics!

Wayne

sapwood

New User
Roger
Super Dave!
The lacewood looks beautiful. :icon_thum
And you have those barrel hinges down pat. I noticed you rounded over insides of lid. Was that round over enough to allow lid to open or did you have to chamfer back side of box??

Roger

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Roger, I had to chamfer the back of the box to allow the 5mm barrel hinges to work, but that also acts as a lid stop holding it around 90°. I ran a slight chamfer around the inside edges of the lid to break the sharp edges, hide any slight misalignment and as a decorative detail...nothing really functional :-D
Dave:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS