Pen finishing Lacquer over CA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
I read the previous posts on how to apply CA finish on pens and the like. At the end it talks about applying a coat or two of lacquer. So I guess I have a couple questions. :icon_scra

- does any one use lacquer over CA?

- do you use brush on or spray lacquer?

- if brush on. do you apply with a brush or the folder paper towel?

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
I never saw the need for anything over the CA. its probly the most durable finish there is for pens all by itself.:icon_thum But its also one of the hardest finishes to master.:gar-La;

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I see no reason to apply lacquer over a CA finish. Either one is more than durable enough alone. Many folks think that a lacquer finish gives a better warmth to the wood, and I can agree with that. But the speed and durability of a CA finish is what keeps me using it primarily. When I have used lacquer I have sprayed it from a rattle can while spinning on the lathe. I have never been able to get as high of a gloss from lacquer as I have from a CA finish.

Dave:)

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
FredP and DaveO if you both say no lacquer then no lacquer it is. Thanks for the info.

nelsone

New User
Ed
I've used CA and lacquer, but not together! I have used lacquer on the last several pens I've done and been very happy with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS