Pen blank size

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
What size pen blanks do y'all use? The main reason I ask is that I have many pieces of curly maple that I miscut, or left as off-cuts, and that are really too small for me to use as scrap. If they are large enough to be used to make some pens I would be willing to give then up to anyone who wants them. If it isn't too much work or expense I would love a pen made out of the stock. If it is too much $ for a pen kit I would be willing to buy one for the craftsperson. Let me know, you would have to come get them, or meet me close by the house. Dave:)

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Dave, I think the most common size is 3/4" sq x 5-6" long. Depending on the pen style you can even get by with 1/2-5/8" square. If you have a lathe next time I am up your way I can bring you up an extra pen kit and the instructions for a slimline pen. I haven't turned any in a while but they are not hard to learn.

D L

DaveO

New User
DaveO
DL, pens don't sound to hard to turn. But having all the different components to make them does sound intimidating. I have a perfect lathe for pens but not a lot of interest in turning them. Although, I am sure that if I was to try one I would get into it. I just wanted to offer up some of my scrap wood to someone who might enjoy it and hopefully get to meet another member in the process. I will take you up on your offer though, so keep it in mind the next time you come through the area.
Dave

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
DaveO said:
DL, I will take you up on your offer though, so keep it in mind the next time you come through the area.
Dave

Dave, I'll bring a kit and a couple extra tubes up with me on Tuesday for the TWA meeting. I'll make a note to bring the other stuff like the mandrel, bushing, drill bit, etc so you can borrow them. You can just pass them back to me next time we link up for a meeting. You got basic turning tools right?

D L

cskipper

Cathy
Dave, Pens aren't difficult to turn, but if you still really don't want to turn pens, I'd be glad to pay postage for your blanks and send you a pen. I'm not sure where you live - I might be able to pick them up-but it really might be just as inexpensive to pay shipping.

JohnsonMBrandon

New User
Brandon Johnson
Same offer here man. Would be glad to send you a pen. Just let us know. But if you do get a chance to try making your own its pretty darn fun.

clowman

Clay Lowman
Corporate Member
I'll add my name to the list of scraps for blanks. If you do want to turn a pen, you may want to keep that stock though. It's alot of fun. Here's one site that gives some basic instructions. You can learn to make a pen in just a couple of hours. Perfecting it.. well... I'll not say, I'm still not there.

woodguy1975

New User
John
Come on Dave, give it a try you might like it. :)

My first student and friend Steven had no interest in pen turning when I showed him on day waiting for glue to dry on some case work. Since that day pens is all he does and he loves it. He turns pens for folks from trees from their family land or for churches from old pews. He thinks it combines wwing with his interest in heritage and family trees.

You just never know. :icon_thum LOL, you thought WG disease was only fixated on tools..... it is much more than that. :-D

DaveO

New User
DaveO
clowman said:
I'll add my name to the list of scraps for blanks.

Clay, I had you in mind when I made the offer. Or anyone else in the local area. If you would like some, you could drop by the house some time this weekend or I could meet you somewhere close by. If people in my local area don't take all of it I will send some out to those farther away.
Dave:)

DaveO

New User
DaveO
D L Ames said:
Dave, I'll bring a kit and a couple extra tubes up with me on Tuesday for the TWA meeting. You got basic turning tools right?

D L

Thanks D L, it's one of those things that I would like to try, but really didn't want have to get everything needed just to make a trial run. I am pretty well set-up with basic turning tools, not so much in skill, but I can make square things round.
Dave:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors