Pedestal Table: Completed!

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Joe, I am not very consistent with respect to taking pictures. I did find a few that may be useful. Basically, I glued blocks of timber together (each board was cut to length and jointed), once the glue was dry I had to take the block to a friend's shop to joint the entire block (I only have an 8" jointer, I think the block something like 9". After square everything up, I scored around all four side on the table saw. I did this because I want to assure a smooth cut along the transition between the actual sculpted pedestal portion and the tenons (I used the tenons fit into slots in the foot of the table and the upper rail, I also cut/fit decorative moulding along the tenons between the pedestal/foot/rail. Once I scored around the blocks I made the tenons by cutting waste away from the block with a dado blade. The actual pedestal was roughed out on the band saw and then sanded smooth with aggressive cuts using a Festool Rotex sander (37 grit).

Prior to starting my table I watched this Youtube Video. Although pedestals are a bit different, I did follow a very similar technique on the bandsaw. I hope you enjoy.

Attachments

• Vm%YJCMERHy6skN8k+P4tQ.jpg
    Vm%YJCMERHy6skN8k+P4tQ.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 191
  • wdrtAeAgR%KzjzTv5HpbOQ.jpg
    wdrtAeAgR%KzjzTv5HpbOQ.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 183
  • xT6hnGnZQ%WXuD8MNm0SSA.jpg
    xT6hnGnZQ%WXuD8MNm0SSA.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 178
  • WIal4kgjRsygFl593lBSMw.jpg
    WIal4kgjRsygFl593lBSMw.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 174
  • T1tDgUqWR7Clawdi9iXLgA.jpg
    T1tDgUqWR7Clawdi9iXLgA.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 157
  • nWj+3tV1R+qdZiRChcPWyw.jpg
    nWj+3tV1R+qdZiRChcPWyw.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 179

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Looks Great ! ........... I bet someone will say "Wow! ... it looks like a professional did this..." :D :oops: :p

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
She will be very proud of that table Donn. You did a great job. betting it was just an excuse to go south in January

Reactions: drw

ste6168

New User
Mike
Incredible table! Really like that method you used to fold the edges under, to create the illusion of thicker top. A dining table is on my long-list of projects.

Reactions: drw

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS