Pedestal Table: Completed!! Delivered: Final Post

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Well done sir. And you had room in your shop to build it. That would be my problem right now. Too much clutter.

Reactions: drw

Dean

Dean
Corporate Member
I finally put the last coat of finish on the table this weekend! Now all that remains is to get the table to my daughter's house in Jacksonville, FL. All things considered, I am very happy with the final result. I don't think I want to build another BIG project anytime soon (or ever, I am getting too old to manhandle large projects).

The finish schedule is a bit different than I typically use. Since the table was made for my daughter, I told her to find a finish she liked. While she was making her decision, I sanded the table to 220 and used a Timbermate slurry as a grain filler and sanded again to 220. As it turns out, the schedule she chose used a grain filler mixed with stain. So, in addition to the Timbermate filler the schedule is a follows:

1) 2 parts Old Masters grain filler to one part Weathered Oak Stain (Minwax), applied with a brush, allowed to sit for 20 minutes and excess wiped off and dried for 24 hours.
2) A second coat of stain applied, allowed to sit for 20 minutes and excess removed.
3) After 24 hours of drying, I began applying wipe-on poly (Minwax). The first two coats were gloss, all subsequent coats were satin finish. In total the top has 8 coats, the other parts received six coats.
4) I sanded after every second coat with a 1000 grit sanding pad and a Festool finish sander. ( I really like this approach, it does a great job of removing nibs but you don't worry about sanding through the finish.)

Not sure what I will be building next, but it will be a smaller project!
Very nice looking project! Well done.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Looks awesome, make sure to get help moving it..... That is way too much weight

Reactions: drw

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Beautiful work! How did you shape the pedestals?
Thanks Chris! Regarding the pedestals, they were initially shaped on the bandsaw followed by final shaping with a Rotex sander and 36 grit sandpaper. I had seen (Youtube) a lot of woodworkers using angle grinders for the final shaping, which I was prepared to do, but since I had the Rotex I thought I would give it a try. The Rotex with the 36 grit paper made the job much easier than I had anticipated.

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Beautiful work! Did you design the table being capable of disassembly for shipment?
Steve, the table disassembles into six pieces (top, 2 top stretchers, 2 pedestals and bottom stretcher). The top is a two-person job, but everything else can be handled by one-person. The top is 8' long so it would stick out a few inches beyond the tailgate (down position). We plan to take it to my daughter sometime in mid-October. If I could be assured of clear weather all the way to Jacksonville, FL, I may attempt to wrap everything in plastic and blankets and go...if the weather looks sketchy my plan is to rent a cargo van. I am so looking forward to having it out of my shop and into her house!

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS