PC scroll saw revisited

Status
Not open for further replies.

allisnut

Adam
Corporate Member
Back in December, I asked questions about a PC scroll saw. Well, I bought it, stayed very busy making pens, and have not had much time to play with it. I did buy some Olson blades at the Woodworkign Shop in Hickory. My experience so far has been not so great. I can not figure out how to properly install and tension the blades, which results in a lot of broken blades and blades coming out of the holder. Can you guys give me some basic set up guidance to help this process along?

Thanks,
Adam

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
First, I don't have that saw. I have the Dewalt. How I do it: wheniput the blade in, I first lightly fasten the blade into the top holder, then stroke up the teeth to be sure it is in correctly. Facing front the teeth should grab you when you brush up. Then I fasten the bottom of the blade, checking that I can feel the bottom of the blade poking out of the holder. I now refasten the top holder being sure the blade is pretty tight from top to bottom. Tension should be fairly tight. You want a small amount of give. When plucked It will have a tone. I don't know the key, I have just learned the sound I am looking for. A little too tight is better than too loose. Go slow, there is no reason to go fast, if you have to push the workpiece, something is wrong. Either a dull blade, loose tension, or you are going too fast. Get accurate, speed comes on its own.

RickC

New User
Rick
The book Scroll Saw Workbook is really good. (HERE on AMAZON). Contains the type of information it sounds as if you are looking for. Plus it covers several techniques and has exercises you can copy and use to hone your skills. You can find copies for less than $10 (plus shipping) on www.half.com. Good luck - it is a fun hobby!

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
A couple tips.,,,

- Scrollsaw blades are coated with a thin film of oil to protect from rusting in the pack. Before installing I lightly sand the holding areas of the blade. Sand across the blade and not up and down.

- You blade is held in place by a thumb screw at the top and botton. Those thumb screws press the blade against a set screw to hold them. If the thumb screw or set screw is not flat it reduces the gripping surface. 99% of the time the thumb screw is not flat. Check the surface and sand flat if needed.

Sealeveler

Tony
Corporate Member
My biggest problem when I started was breaking blades until I started adding more tension.Don't be afraid to add more tension.You should get a clear ting when plucked.
Tony

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
The books say the ping should be a "C" note. I have no idea what a "C" sounds like. So I just apply tension till it saws the way I want.

Pop

cskipper

Cathy
I'm in Forest City. If you want, we can set a time when I can go to your shop and see if I can help. No guarantees, just an offer.

I tension my blades tight - basically with no sideways "give". You'll know if you break blades due to too much tension because they will break in the middle of the blade.

Last edited:

allisnut

Adam
Corporate Member
Wow, thanks Cathy. I will let you know if I want to take you up on that. Right now my shop is packed with 8 tables full of yard sale stuff that got shoved in this morning when we were rained out. I can't make any dust for at least two weeks.

Bugle

Preston
Corporate Member
The books say the ping should be a "C" note. I have no idea what a "C" sounds like. So I just apply tension till it saws the way I want.

Pop

If you have a smart phone, there are several guitar tuning apps that are pretty accurate...if you want to be that accurate. :p

sawduster

New User
Robert
I also tension my blades pretty tight as Cathy says. To piggy back on Scott's advice, the oil from the blades can, over time , build up on the surface of the holders so I clean them with DNA ( denatured alcohol ) and scuff slightly with sandpaper. In my early days I found myself with a " death grip " on my wood and feeding pressure, causing the blade to bow sideways .....messing up my stack cutting and frequently breaking blades . i had to learn to lighten up and simply hold the wood, not force it. You get some " chatter " at first where the blade grabs the wood and repeatedly slams it up and down until you quell your panic, turn off the machine and catch your breath , but you learn pretty quickly how to control this :gar-Bi

cskipper

Cathy
There's an easy way to know if you are forcing the wood (other than having white knuckles and holding your breath) - just carefully and gently let loose of the board. If you see any movement either forward/backward or sideways you know that you are forcing the board. You'll also discover that your shoulders seem to tire more easily than you would expect. Remember, the only thing that regulates the speed and direction of the feed on a scroll saw is you. Sounds easy, but when I hear myself say something like (the saw just took off..., it's usually me).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS