Pawn Store Bandsaw

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Dunn

New User
Tom Dunn
I now very little about bandsaws, but I do know I would like one for a project I'm planning.
I don't need anything too high-end, really just looking for a "starter" saw, so to speak.
I came across a 14" bandsaw in a local Pawn Shop for $150, but I could get it for less I'm sure.
Its a Buffalo BP VBS 14.

Any advice as to whether I should walk, study further, or pounce on this saw would be MUCH appreciated!!!!

eyekode

New User
Salem
Most 14" bandsaws are clones of the original Delta model. To the point that the parts tend to be interchagible. I am not familiar with that particular model. But for 150$ you may be able to find an old Delta. The old Delta's (~1955?) had the best adjustment mechanism for the guides. Much easier to use then newer saws that all require tools to adjust.

My suggestion for used tools is if you dont already know the machine inside and out then make sure it works well before you buy it. Or have someone check it out for you.
Salem

Vetteman9956

New User
Brad
That was a pretty low end chinese tool company. On the level of harbor freight. Don't know if they are still around but I agree with Salem that there are much better saws out there for the same money. Just have to search them out.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
The used to be sold in "truck load sales." If you look at knobs, most likely the will have an elephant on them, hence no matter what name plate, they were referred as elephant brand saws. For $50 to $75 more off CL, you can pick up and American made Delta. I've paid as little as $65 to a max of $350 (enclosed stand with riser block) for American made Delta 14" BS.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
If I could find a delta for $65, I could stop changing blades! :D
That's the advantage of owning three saws. But if want to stop changing blades, just call Woodcraft Bands and order a Lenox die Master 1/4", 6 TPI, hook pattern, bi-metal blade.

manfre

New User
Manfre
That's the advantage of owning three saws. But if want to stop changing blades, just call Woodcraft Bands and order a Lenox die Master 1/4", 6 TPI, hook pattern, bi-metal blade.

I keep a 1/2" 3 TPI blade on my 14" ridgid because I normally cut log chunks down to turning blanks. Any blocks of wood thicker than 4" and I have to feed very, very slowly. Aside from lasting longer what benefit is there to that bi-metal blade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS