Part 13 - Building the Bench

Status
Not open for further replies.

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
Hi all,

Seeing as the shortest day of the year is approaching, I thought we’d end the year with the shortest post of the Harpsichord Project (please ..... hold your applause). Eventually this pile of sticks may actually make a sound. Whenever that day comes, the player will surely appreciate a place to sit while playing. So in this post, we’ll build a harpsichord bench. Nothing earth-shattering here: four turned legs, a front rail, a back rail, two side rails, a bottom for the music storage compartment, and a seating surface. Let’s do it.

We start by face gluing some poplar stock for the legs. Four pieces of 1x4 poplar for each of the four legs.

BENCH13.JPG

After the glue has set we mill the leg blanks to 2 ¾" square by 16” in length. Then we make the front, back and side rails – all from 1x4 poplar milled to 2 ¾” in width. The length of each rail includes the tenons that will be cut next. Here are the legs and rails cut to their proper lengths.

BENCH23.JPG

Next we cut the tenons into each end of all the rails and the matching mortises in the top of each leg. Dados are cut into the inside bottoms of the rails to accept the ¼” thick music compartment bottom. Stopped dados are cut into the inside surfaces of the top (square section) of each leg for the same purpose. The bottom ( ¼” birch plywood) is cut to fit into the dados. The seating surface is ¾” MDF cut to provide a ¾” overhang on all sides. A decorative edge is routed into it. Finally, the bottom 13 ¼” of each leg is rounded on the lathe. Here are all the bench parts ready for assembly.

BENCH33.JPG

At this point, we completely assemble the bench (dry) to check for fit and alignment. We also bring it over to the harpsichord and sit on it to be certain that the height is suitable for playing. Keyboard players are very sensitive to the angle of their arms as they play. If the bench is too low their arms will have to angle upwards in order to play. The opposite is true if the bench is too high. Concert Grand Pianos usually come with an adjustable (in height) bench but that’s much too 21st century for a harpsichord. In this case, the height seems just about right. Here is the bench assembled dry.

BENCH42.JPG

Now that everything checks out we’ll spend some time at the lathe turning the rounded portion of each leg into a leg that will match (more or less) the legs on the harpsichord itself. Here’s a photo of the first turned leg.

BENCH53.JPG

Here is the completed bench. Hinges have been installed onto the seating surface and the rear rail in the proper position to allow for the ¾” overhang. The mortise and tenons holding the bench together have still not been glued. They will be glued after the bench has been painted. I know we all love to sand and, anticipating many coats of oil-based enamel with a good sanding between each coat, I like to mount the legs onto the lathe to make this sanding easier.

BENCH61.JPG

The last photo shows the bench which has now been formally introduced to its playing partner.

BENCH71.JPG

And that’s it for the bench as well as the year. In January, we’ll tackle the soundboard, bridges etc. Edge-gluing a 1/8” thick soundboard is always an adventure. For now, it’s time to take some time off and visit the kids and grandkids. If you don’t see Part 14 sometime in January you’ll know I’m probably snow-bound in Buffalo until April.

Again, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. Till next time .....

Ernie

Part 1 - The Keyboard Part 2 -Keyboard con't. Part 3 - Keyboard con't. Part 4 - The Case (Bentside) Part 5 - Case Bottom Part 6 - Case Sides Part 7 - The Lower Braces Part 8 - Case Finished Part 9 - Building the Registers Part 10 - The Stand Part 11 - Jackrail & Moldings
Part 12 - The Music Desk
Part 13 - Building the Bench

Last edited:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
WOW, matching legs. Ernie you are a craftsman of the highest caliper.
Thanks for sharing your build with us:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Dave:)

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Ernie,

Your work is truely impressive. :notworthy: You make a bench look so easy to pull off. Thanks again for taking the time to document how you build one of these works of art. :icon_thum

cheers,

Trent

thrt15nc

New User
Tom
Thanks again Ernie for your time on this. Really enjoyable. Be safe on your trip but hurry back! :):)

Tom Swortzel

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Great looking bench, that'd be a project all on its own for me. Short post? Of course it's a short post if you go from stock to finished product all at once (let's see, turning the legs, making the mortises & tenons, routing the edge...).

It sure looks beautiful. I know harpsichords are painted, but have you ever considered using a different wood and leaving it natural? Just a thought.

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
Great looking bench, that'd be a project all on its own for me. Short post? Of course it's a short post if you go from stock to finished product all at once (let's see, turning the legs, making the mortises & tenons, routing the edge...).

It sure looks beautiful. I know harpsichords are painted, but have you ever considered using a different wood and leaving it natural? Just a thought.
Bas,

You're right, of course. The bench did take a while to build. Deciding how much detail to post is always a problem for me. This problem is about to worsen as the work becomes more musical with a much lower emphasis on woodworking. Since there's nothing special or complicated about building this bench I didn't want to take up a lot of space describing its construction to woodworkers who could probably build a better bench than I could. As always, I'm more than willing to add more detail if someone asks for more.

As to your question about non-painted harpsichords. They're very common. English and German harpsichords are almost never painted. They are usually veneered and finished clear. While I am tempted to build one in that style, the fact is they're not in demand as much as Flemish and French instruments are. The market for harpsichords is pretty small (but intense) and it doesn't make sense for me to shrink the number of potential buyers by building an instrument that fewer people want to buy. So I guess I'll stay with the Flemish and French .... at least for the time being.

Thanks so much for your kind words and for staying with me as I plow my way through this project.

Ernie

Shamrock

New User
Michael
Have a safe trip-enjoy the snow! Looking foward to Part 14

:BangHead::BangHead::BangHead:clamps-clamps-why do I never have enough clamps

mlzettl

Matt
Corporate Member
Ernie,

As usual, your sterling workmanship and organization of the project is an example for all of us.

I am curious about selling such an instrument. You mentioned that the market is small, certainly not surprising. It seems to me, and I admit that I am totally unfamiliar with the market for musical instruments, that it might be more desirable to build a harpsichord for a specific client, essentially a commission. Considering the time, and more importantly, the expertise and skill required to build this, wouldn't the folks interested in one would prefer to have one built specifically for themselves, rather than looking for one that is already complete. Perhaps it's like a guitar or a violin in that the musician wants to play it before plunking down the hard cash.

In any case, I'm just fascinated by the whole process from design and construction to finding a buyer.

Merry Christmas, Happy New Year, and have a safe trip.

Matt

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Erni, great job:icon_thum I have enjoyed your post on the making of this beautiful instrument - looking forward to seeing it paintd in its beauty

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
I am curious about selling such an instrument. You mentioned that the market is small, certainly not surprising. It seems to me, and I admit that I am totally unfamiliar with the market for musical instruments, that it might be more desirable to build a harpsichord for a specific client, essentially a commission. Considering the time, and more importantly, the expertise and skill required to build this, wouldn't the folks interested in one would prefer to have one built specifically for themselves, rather than looking for one that is already complete. Perhaps it's like a guitar or a violin in that the musician wants to play it before plunking down the hard cash.
Matt,

It's a mixed bag and depends a great deal on the temperment of the builder. Robert Hicks, one of the country's premier builders, has never accepted a commission and refuses to do so. He works alone and builds only one or two a year. He loves to experiment with design and doesn't want to be hampered with having to build what doesn't particularly interest him.

On the other hand, you have nationally recognized builders who work mostly on commission. Due to the length of their waiting list, they almost always have a staff and build six to twelve instruments a year. Having a staff makes you a manager as well as a builder. Many builders, myself included, are uncomfortable letting anyone else work on their instruments.

As for the buying public, that too is a mixed bag. Some want an instrument built by a "name" builder and are willing to wait for it and accept whatever qualities (or lack thereof) their new instrument has. Others have a particular sound or feel in mind and would rather try dozens of finished instruments in an attempt to find what they're looking for.

I am firmly in the Robert Hicks camp. I'm not, by nature, a good self-promoter which is necessary to gain national recognition quickly.
I build whatever instrument interests me at the moment and, as most of my instruments are sold through the Harpsichord Clearing House outside of Boston, (www.harpsichord.com) I don't have to self-promote or worry about selling. While I have sold instruments throughout the U.S. and Canada, it's a much slower way to become known - which is fine with me. Besides, it's not easy getting a harpsichord commission in Chocowinity, NC.

Hope this info is helpful.

Ernie

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Deciding how much detail to post is always a problem for me.
The level of detail is fine Ernie, I was just giving you a hard time. Two weeks into woodworking I discovered that you need to develop patience in order to really enjoy it. I'm learning, but whenever I see a post like yours I know how many hours have gone into things.... :eusa_clap

English and German harpsichords are almost never painted [ ..] they're not in demand as much as Flemish and French instruments are.
Aha! I guess I've seen mainly Flemish harpsichords in Holland then, which makes sense of course. Never seen an unpainted harpsichord before. Granted, having seen seven doesn't exactly qualify as a major survey :no:

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
Aha! I guess I've seen mainly Flemish harpsichords in Holland then, which makes sense of course. Never seen an unpainted harpsichord before. Granted, having seen seven doesn't exactly qualify as a major survey

Bas,

Are you kidding? I don't think I've ever met a non-musician that has seen 7 harpsichords. Most folks have never seen even one. Are they more popular in Holland than in the US?

Ernie

mlzettl

Matt
Corporate Member
Ernie,

Thanks for the excellent summary of the harpsichord market. I'm simply fascinated by the countless subcultures that are out there that most of us simply know nothing about. I would never have thought that there were that many people building, buying, and selling harpsichords, clavichords, etc. I visited the Harpsichord Clearing House website, and was just amazed by the number and variety of instruments that are available.

I also appreciate your desire to build what interests you, and to work essentially by yourself, and by that I mean you and your wife. That is exactly my sentiment as well. To me the monetary reward is secondary to the gratification that I receive by working on something that I have designed and built at my own pace. It may not be an efficient, productive process, but is in itself a reward.

I hope that when the finishing portion of your series begins, that you will chronicle your wife's painting techniques as well as you have your skills.

Thanks again for taking the time to share your passion with us.

Matt

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
Matt,

Keep in mind that the instruments you saw on HCH's website probably account for the vast majority of instruments available for sale in the entire country. As far as builders are concerned, the last estimate I saw had about 30 "professional builders" in the whole country (professional defined as one who builds instruments for sale). I suppose the number of builders is well balanced to the number of potential buyers.

I also appreciate your desire to build what interests you, and to work essentially by yourself, and by that I mean you and your wife. That is exactly my sentiment as well. To me the monetary reward is secondary to the gratification that I receive by working on something that I have designed and built at my own pace. It may not be an efficient, productive process, but is in itself a reward.
I couldn't agree more. Then again, I'm not counting on harpsichord sales to put bread on the table. If this were not the case I'm sure my philosophy would be somewhat different. Hopefully I'll never have to find out.

Thanks for your encouragement. I'll certainly try to describe the painting and decorating processes even though I don't understand them at all. I have trouble painting a wall.

Ernie

PeteQuad

New User
Peter
I'm a little slow with keeping up with these threads but I always come back to get the latest installment. I just wanted to add my encouragement and thanks to what has been a fantastic series of posts.

The insight into the harpsichord making arena is awesome also. I love immersing myself into "sub-cultures" as Matt aptly put it and this is certainly a fascinating one which requires a lot of skill and knowledge.

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
The insight into the harpsichord making arena is awesome also. I love immersing myself into "sub-cultures"
Peter - thanks for your encouragement. Most people I know don't call harpsichord making a sub-culture, they just call it whacky-world. :gar-La;

Ernie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors