Overlay Drawer Alignment Problem..Please Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnny Johnson

New User
Johnny
I am having trouble getting my overlay drawer box to alien correct to the face frame. I have a box I built with dovetails. Everything is sq. regardless of how I check it. Corner to corner with tape rule. Two foot sq and 12" combination. Cabinet is sq checked by same method. I am using Blumotion Tandem 563H slides and the orange fully adj. T51.190-0101 latch. I air nailed a pc of board to simulate the drawer face. (to be removed later) The left side of the drawer hits the face frame first and the right side is held off 1/8". I can take my finger tip and just push lightly and it goes in. To get it to close correctly I had to adj the drawer latch adj. all the way to the right. That makes the gap on the left side 1/8 wider than the left, but the drawer closes perfect. Once drawer front is installed the gap can not be seen. Tomorrow I think I will take the right slide screws out and use the long gated holes to move the slide in/out an 1/8 to see if that helps. Any tips that can be passed on will help me greatly.

This project is for the new bathroom cabinets I am building. When I put the center section in (sink section) I had the same problem with the two small drawers on each side of where the sink will go. I worked to no end in the shop and could not get the left side of each drawer to stop hitting first causing a small gap on both other sides. Once I had the cab in the bathroom I tried one more thing. I pulled the drawer out and removed the two screws on the left slide and closed the drawer and let it self align. It closed perfect. I put the screws in the new location ( Had to use the L brackets on the small drawers).They were 3/8 off. I fixed the other drawer by same method. I will have two drawer banks, one on each side of the center pc. On the drawer problem above I did not use the L bracket. I aligned the side partitions with the inside of the face frame. No need for the L bracket. I thought it would be a breeze to align the drawers with no L bracket. Boy was I wrong.

Anybody that has built a lot of drawers and installed them please make some suggestions. It would help me a lot. I have looked at many Youtube videos and it all looks so easy. No one ever addresses what problems can pop up.
Thanks
Johnny

Tim Sherwood

Tim
Corporate Member
It sounds like you have checked your cabinet and the drawers thoroughly. If the mounting partitions are square and parallel, maybe there is a small problem with the slides alignment. When I install slides to my cabinets, I cut a scrap of plywood as a spacer to support them against the sides. If you start at the top , you can position both sides exactly the same. Then just cut down the spacer to locate the next pair. This is easiest to do while the cabinet is still on your bench and the back is off.
You might want to double check that the gap between the slides is the same at the front and back. Readjusting and fudging just seem to be a part of every woodworking project.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
It sounds like the cabinet half of your slides are not square to the front of the cabinet. I would use a framing square to check the slide to the face frame. I suspect the left slide will show less than 90. Good luck

Johnny Johnson

New User
Johnny
Hi Tim and Phil....Going to start over tomorrow trying to id the problem. I also use spacers and started at the top drawer. I also use spacers when I build the face frame to hold members in place when putting in the pocket hole screws. Phil..I checked the sq inside the case with a two ft sq to the face frame, all was sq. Going to check the notched out cut and indwx hole depth tomorrow. Will post what I find out.
Thanks
Johnny

Skymaster

New User
Jack
Remove all screws except those in slots. the slides are to be recessed 3mm in from face frame. take adj square and set it to 1/8. loosen screws in slots set them back using the square, snug them up, now try your front, it should be ok. If so tighten the screws in the slots then add screws into the fixing holes ie round ones

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS