Outreach Volunteers Needed - King Cub Scouts

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
I have hand saws, brace and bits, egg beaters, chisels, mallets. At least 4 of each, can set up and sharpen a few more saws. Could use more rip saws, I only have two.

The bigger news is this ;
They are interested in a train the trainer session or sessions to get more of their volunteers ready to teach woodworking to the kids. There are thousands of Scouts (boys and girls) in NC and hundreds of Scouting volunteers. If we can train dozens they can train more and many more kids can be introduced to woodworking.

The kids are allowed to use hand tools, no power tools. They would also like to have a tool list and sources to buy hand tools. I don’t expect this to go over the top but I think any small spark is worth the effort.
This is excellent news!

Barry W

Co-Director of Outreach
Barry
Corporate Member
ATTENTION! ATTENTION!

We are only approximately four weeks away from the King Cub Scouts Outreach event and are in need of more volunteers to help introduce these young men to woodworking. This is the perfect event to introduce new NCWW members to the Outreach program. Existing NCWW members also need to reserve this date (May 4) on their calendars. If you live in the Stokes County, Surry County, Winston-Salem area, it's only a short drive on Hwy. 52 to King. We already have a Charlotte member who has signed up. So, SIGN UP! Please.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I made one of the chairs in my shop with power tools only takes about 30 minutes.
But, I think 1x material is not going to work.

Every DIY site I see calls for 2x12, I think 2x10 will be fine. Also most plans call fo 48 inch parts. I made this one 40 inches and it worked fine, but 48 would be better.

Since you generally buy 8 foot material anyway, might as well go with 48.

So, I recommend one 2x10 pine 8 feet long for each Scout.

No, prep work, the troop dads will cut the 2x10 in half on a miter chop saw.

I wish we could use a portable table saw for the long rip cuts, but not sure about that part. The kids really should rip with handsaws. It may take too long in 2x material.

We may also want to bring some battery drills and Forster bits to speed up the mortise.

Best plan may be to set up stations and walk then through. Layout, ripping, crosscut, drilling, chisel, maybe spoke shave to ease corners and smooth long cuts. Since ripping and chisel will take longest time would be good to double up or even triple on those.

Would really like to let each cub leave with a camp chair.

Barry W

Co-Director of Outreach
Barry
Corporate Member
. . . . I wish we could use a portable table saw for the long rip cuts, but not sure about that part. The kids really should rip with handsaws. It may take too long in 2x material. . . . .

I have not ripped any 1x or 2x material with my Makita Track Saw. But have read about using track/plunge saws for ripping. Here is a discussion on the subject, although it does deteriorate into a discussion of metric measurements. HERE This discussion refers to using a parallel guide set for ripping with a track saw. I do not have a parallel guide. I have found a Triton parallel guide HERE which I can order and receive before this event. Some opinions on using a track saw at this event??

bowman

Board of Directors, Webmaster
Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
Not a full rip Dirk. See pics that Mike posted. There will be a seating area approx 12x12, then the rest of the tail section will be about 6" wide, ripping 2-3" off each side.

Last edited:

Barry W

Co-Director of Outreach
Barry
Corporate Member
I have found a Triton parallel guide HERE which I can order and receive before this event. Some opinions on using a track saw at this event??

Would this guide be of benefit for this project??

Last edited:

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Looks like we have 6 volunteers and will have 5 stations so we should be good.

I would like to get everybody together soon to go over this project so we are all on the same page since we have not done this before.

We can meet at my shop and I'll set up the grill for lunch.

Just need to pick a date.

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
We have three weekends between 4 May and now - 13, 20, and 27 April I am already committed for this coming SAT.

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
Have you made one with a 2 x 10? I think you should before you proceed. I am concerned with the width left and after the cuts for the seat to be inserted in the back there will not be enough for support on the sides.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
the one i made was 1 x 9, it was plenty strong but the seat board flexes and i don't think it will last very long.

it supports my nearly 300 pounds, but the thin boards seem skimpy to me.

bowman

Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
I just pieced one together from a 2x10, it was shy of 7'. The back is 36", the seat is the remainder. I cut 2" off the tail section, leaving the seat about 14" before it insets into the back. The mortice is 12" from the bottom. Once put together, I balanced my 200 lbs with one for on the seat, the other on top of the back (sorry no photo, no evidence!)

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
May 4 will find me returning from D.C., with lots to get caught up on. I will be unable to help. :(

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
Good. I was concerned about what is left around the mortise. Something like this should last a very long time. Maybe they will even carve the backs someday.

Barry W

Co-Director of Outreach
Barry
Corporate Member
We have several blank slots and welcome any members who would like to participate in this event.

MEMBERLOCATION
MikeWalnut Cove
DirkClayton
TonikaHigh Point
RaymondCharlotte
NealKing
BarryLawsonville

bowman

Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
I made that in under an hour during my lunch today. I used circular saw for the rip cuts, and hand saw for the crosscuts for the long tenon. For the mortise, I used 1 5/8 Forstner bit and then chiseled out the sides until smooth(ish). I probably could have done just as fast without drilling the mortise out and just focused on the chiseling. I gave it the stress test of plopping onto it, after an initial test to see how it felt. For my physical size, it was very comfortable, with the back right at the back of my head. I could lay back and not have my head of the edge of the board.

How much prep can be done ahead of time and still allow the scouts to do the work to earn their badges? To Mike's point, whoever is going to be there, we all need to be on the same page.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS