Outreach Volunteers Needed - King Cub Scouts

Barry W

Co-Director of Outreach
Barry
Corporate Member
The King Cub Scout leaders have asked NCWW to participate in a woodworking teaching event. This is a one day outreach event on May 4, at the King American Legion Post on Main Street (Map) from 9:00 - 5:00. We will be working with approximately 28 Cub Scouts ages 5 - 11. The participants have all had some training in woodworking (birdhouses) as a requirement to attain their various ranks. Therefore, we must provide activities other than bird condo building. Their leader suggests working on the lathe. NCWW safety guidelines prohibit anyone less than six years old from lathe work.

Outreach events are fun and this is a great opportunity to work with young, aspiring woodworkers. Sign up!!
:gar-Bi

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
Fine idea, how is that different than bird house? Just a question. We could also replace the bird house assembly with the tool tote after the existing bird house kits are gone.

you could also do puzzles. Precut the shapes in popular and HELP the child cut the puzzle cuts.

we also have peg games on the trailer. Drill press

Last edited:

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Birdhouse, tool tote, foot stool, window planter box, small book shelf, keepsake box... all the same. But it gives the kids a choice and lets them make something they will use.

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
That’s fine. I agree completely. We should have some crates that Phil installed empty. We won’t know until we see the completed trailer. There will be a place for everything!

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
If designed as modular project set then some of the parts could be interchangeable making less inventory and more choices.

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
What other skills will they be needing. I sense assembly is not wanted. We need to know what is needed. When we helped the Girl Scouts they needed to use a hammer and nails, use a level, a saw. Different skills. What do the boys need?

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Some of these projects may also work for the Girl Scout project that Mike Davis will be working on with the Scout leaders.

Barry W

Co-Director of Outreach
Barry
Corporate Member
It's my understanding tha we will be working with several different age groups at different times of the day. Some will be too young to saw, etc. This may be complicated - only a thought.

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
As it stands right now, I can be available for this outreach. As we get closer, I will know better.

Barry W

Co-Director of Outreach
Barry
Corporate Member
How many more volunteers are needed and what do they need to bring?

Thanks for your interest. I think we will need several volunteers for this outreach event. More information to follow.

bowman

Board of Directors, Webmaster
Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
Tonika, just bring your great personality, all of the required tools and materials should be on the trailer

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
Has anyone checked with the scout leader to see what skills will be needed? What medal/ badge they are working on?

Barry W

Co-Director of Outreach
Barry
Corporate Member
I am not familiar with Cub Scout badge levels. This is information the scout leader emailed to me:

Tigers 1st grade (5 to 6 yrs) - 3
Wolf's 2nd grade (7 to 8 yrs) - 5
Bear 3rd grade (8 to 9 yrs) - 6
Webelos 1 4th grade (9 to 10 yrs) - 7
Webelos 2 5th grade (10 to 11 years)- 7

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Bear Required Adventure: Baloo the Builder
Complete all of the following requirements.
  1. Discover which hand tools are the best ones to have in your tool box. Learn the rules for using these tools safely. Practice with at least four of these tools before beginning a project.
  2. Select, plan, and define the materials for the project you will complete in requirement 3.
  3. Assemble your materials, and build one useful project and one fun project using wood.
  4. Apply a finish to one of your projects.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS