Outreach Face shields for turning

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
From now on, let's be sure to use full face shields for all Outreach turning instructors and students.

We will have 8 on the trailer and I just asked Phil and Ken to order some small or youth size.

Safety is something we all need to be more aware of and we are getting National attention now with the AAW show and an upcoming article. Most of our photos could not be used because the turners were not wearing face shields. We want and need to be safe and to demonstrate safe practices.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Yes we will use them from now on. It sure would be nice if we had some usable photos for these published articles.

Do we have somebody REALLY good with photo editing ??

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Can we get some people up to Barry's place this weekend if he is available and make some photos?

Barry W

Co-Director of Outreach
Barry
Corporate Member
Ok Either wheelchair turners or cute kids

How are these?

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I'm available if the above photos are not acceptable.
Those are great Photos Barry!

Probably a dumb question, but I am guessing AAW requires full face shield as opposed to "just" safety glasses?

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Those are great Photos Barry!

Probably a dumb question, but I am guessing AAW requires full face shield as opposed to "just" safety glasses?
Yes AAW requires a full face shield to be worn by both the student and the instructor.
I'm available if the above photos are not acceptable.
Some of the above photos should work, many thanks. I will forward to AAW and American Woodturner.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Second thought is we will probably have to stage a photo. We would need signed releases from parents

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
For our AAW handout, instructors will need to be wearing face shields as well. So, no, these won't work. The photos we currently are planning to use are not of active turners due to safety issues.

For the AAW (planned) demos, if you're on the turning side of the "Charlie" shields, you must wear a face shield. The lathes may need to be in the back of the booth to protect aisle traffic as well.

For those on the planning committee, we may need to think about a designated safety director in the booth at all times.

More to come.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Gene or Phil - are "just" face shields required or face shields AND safety glasses?

Barry W

Co-Director of Outreach
Barry
Corporate Member
Would have been great if the instructor had a face shield. And ideally would show the lathe stand.

None exist in my collection of NCWW photos. Nor do I have one with the participants wearing a suit of armor.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Here's a video I found. Not really child size visors but the first one in the comparison is mentioned as able to fit a child. I looked on Klingspor's website and Amazon and couldn't find anything specific for children.

The video promotes the visors that Craft Supplies sells, but does have some useful information in it.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
From Barry's photos it looks like the ones we have fit the kids OK, maybe just get a couple more of those?

nn4jw

New User
Jim
Would have been great if the instructor had a face shield. And ideally would show the lathe stand.

Unfortunately I can't add in focus where it doesn't exist. Wish I could because I agree it would have been a better picture with the lathe in focus. I can (and did) decrease the depth of field to blur the background so the subject of interest stood out.

This brings up a point for taking the pictures. There is a real difference between using a smart phone vs a DSLR camera for taking pictures. In general smartphones don't really have the exposure control that DSLRs have. Smartphones are ok for snapshots but if you are looking for publicity shots it's just better to use a DSLR and know how to control the exposure, focus and depth of field. An off camera fill flash wouldn't hurt either. Of course, if you set a DSLR on the default general purpose program mode (normally called P) and use the built in flash then it's about the same as a smartphone.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I think Barry has a Canon and I have a Nikon that I rarely use anymore since I always have my phone. But, my Nikon is more than capable... and Barry is a great Photog. We just need to set up the shots with the required turning equipment.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS