Outreach Face shields for turning

Barry W

Co-Director of Outreach
Barry
Corporate Member
. . . .

This brings up a point for taking the pictures. There is a real difference between using a smart phone vs a DSLR camera for taking pictures. In general smartphones don't really have the exposure control that DSLRs have. Smartphones are ok for snapshots but if you are looking for publicity shots it's just better to use a DSLR and know how to control the exposure, focus and depth of field. An off camera fill flash wouldn't hurt either. Of course, if you set a DSLR on the default general purpose program mode (normally called P) and use the built in flash then it's about the same as a smartphone.

My photos were made with a DSLR primarily with a 50mm f1.4 lens. I generally use a lower f stop in the AV mode to increase bokeh to emphasize the primary subject of the photograph. Some of the newer smartphones can provide a fake bokeh that in my opinion is easily discernible from real bokeh.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
As soon as you folks have a plan and an anticipated completion date I will share it with the media

nn4jw

New User
Jim
My photos were made with a DSLR primarily with a 50mm f1.4 lens. I generally use a lower f stop in the AV mode to increase bokeh to emphasize the primary subject of the photograph. Some of the newer smartphones can provide a fake bokeh that in my opinion is easily discernible from real bokeh.

I do know what bokeh is. Just controlling depth of field is not the same thing. Are you really using cutouts in front of your lens for these shots? Going for art effects in the background?

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
According to Wikipedia "
In photography, bokeh (/ˈboʊkeɪ/ BOH-kay;[1] Japanese: [boke]) is the aesthetic quality of the blur produced in the out-of-focus parts of an image produced by a lens.[2][3][4] Bokeh has been defined as "the way the lens renders out-of-focus points of light".[5] Differences in lens aberrations and aperture shape cause some lens designs to blur the image in a way that is pleasing to the eye, while others produce blurring that is unpleasant or distracting ("good" and "bad" bokeh, respectively).[6] Bokeh occurs for parts of the scene that lie outside the depth of field. Photographers sometimes deliberately use a shallow focus technique to create images with prominent out-of-focus regions.
Bokeh is often most visible around small background highlights, such as specular reflections and light sources, which is why it is often associated with such areas.[6] However, bokeh is not limited to highlights; blur occurs in all out-of-focus regions of the image."

nn4jw

New User
Jim
According to Wikipedia "
In photography, bokeh (/ˈboʊkeɪ/ BOH-kay;[1] Japanese: [boke]) is the aesthetic quality of the blur produced in the out-of-focus parts of an image produced by a lens.[2][3][4] Bokeh has been defined as "the way the lens renders out-of-focus points of light".[5] Differences in lens aberrations and aperture shape cause some lens designs to blur the image in a way that is pleasing to the eye, while others produce blurring that is unpleasant or distracting ("good" and "bad" bokeh, respectively).[6] Bokeh occurs for parts of the scene that lie outside the depth of field. Photographers sometimes deliberately use a shallow focus technique to create images with prominent out-of-focus regions.
Bokeh is often most visible around small background highlights, such as specular reflections and light sources, which is why it is often associated with such areas.[6] However, bokeh is not limited to highlights; blur occurs in all out-of-focus regions of the image."

And using cutouts, which Wikipedia didn't mention which is strange because we all know that Wikepedia is the definitive authoritative source, is a way to extend the shape of the lens iris blades to control the bokeh shapes and even some of the placement for even more good bokeh.

None of this has anything to do at all with the topic so I'm sorry I even brought it up. My apologies.

Anyone who thought I was criticizing their abilities to take pictures, not my intention. Carry on.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I'm not sure I know all the AAW rules, can somebody give us a list of things to be aware of for these photos?

And then I think we may need an updated train the trainer workshop to incorporate all these new safety rules.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
I am hoping that Dee will chime in but as I know them
Everybody behind the tool rest side of the lathe should be wearing full face protection. if there are any people on the back side of the lathe, they need to be protected by the audience shield that Charlie built.

I am not sure if the audience shield needs to be in place for all the photos but I would suggest at least a few photos with it.

thanks

Barry W

Co-Director of Outreach
Barry
Corporate Member
OK, found a wheel chair and wife is asking 4-H club for volunteers to pose for photos

Do the AAW rules say anything about posed photos? I don't want to find it necessary to call my wife to post my bond.

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
Gene or Phil - are "just" face shields required or face shields AND safety glasses?

Hank,
I'll have to look up "scripture and verse" for safety glasses being required under safety shields. I'll be back on that one.

Personally, I don't see much use of a face shield without safety glasses. I can't imagine a face shield providing any protection to the face other than for shavings. At least safety glasses will protect the eyes.

We had an action item on the AAW Planning Committee to ensure the trailer has needed face shields for use at the conference/symposium, etc. It was taken care of last month.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I’ve been looking at face shields, some of them say eye protection must be worn with the shield and some say they are impact resistant. I think the thin flexible ones should certainly be used with extra eye protection.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Email from AAW indicates staged,posed recreated is not a problem. We do need parental permission, an email will do. I am hoping we can recreate the photo of the little boy with his light saber. Sure wish I could be there to help

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Wife is typing a copy of the photo release she uses for 4-H with changes needed for NCWW.

Will try to find a young boy as well as the girl and a wheel chair race driver.

Barry W

Co-Director of Outreach
Barry
Corporate Member
Email from AAW indicates staged,posed recreated is not a problem. We do need parental permission, an email will do. I am hoping we can recreate the photo of the little boy with his light saber. Sure wish I could be there to help

Which photo are you referring to? I didn't include one with that subject in my post with photos in this thread

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
My bad I did not realize that you did not see the original photos that I sent They are coming you way soon - as in now

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
Gene or Phil - are "just" face shields required or face shields AND safety glasses?

Hank, Mike, PhilS, et al.,

From the "Exhibitors" kit (https://cdn.ymaws.com/www.woodturner.org/resource/resmgr/VendorSafety.pdf )

"• All demonstrators will use appropriate Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) for the task at hand. All exhibitor demonstrators are required to wear a full face shield at all times when equipment is being used. This includes face shields for eye and face protection; suitable shoes are also required for foot protection. At a minimum, eye protection is required for any demonstration involving cutting, grinding, sawing, or other potentially hazardous operations; full face shields are required as appropriate for the size of the object being worked on. All exhibitor demonstrators who do not wear the approved PPE will be asked one to wear the approved PPE, and if in violation a second time will no longer be allowed to demonstrate. The AAW does not provide full face shields.
• Any other booth and table-top personnel that are not demonstrating will have and use appropriate PPE protection when in the area of activity. Anyone joining the demonstration will be supplied with appropriate PPE for the task at hand. This includes eye, face, footwear, and dust protection equipment as needed.
• Any exhibitor who allows attendees to test products or equipment is responsible for the attendee to be properly supplied with PPE and to follow all proper safety procedures. The exhibitor will be in attendance for the duration of the “testing”. Exhibitors will have ongoing clean-up of all chips and debris generated to provide for safe passage of attendees. This includes the exhibitor’s booth or table, public aisles and neighboring exhibitor spaces. NOTE: The exhibitor is responsible for bringing necessary cleaning equipment (broom, dustpan, etc.) – these will not be supplied by the AAW or the Convention Center. Waste and recycling cans will be made available as necessary.
• We encourage a minimum amount of sanding operations in the Trade Show. If you intend to use abrasives or other procedures that generate airborne dust, use of a suitable dust extractor is required. Exhibitors will be responsible to minimize dust hazards within their own booths, and must also eliminate any airborne dust drifting to adjacent booths.
• Exhibitors will be responsible to keep a safe working environment during set up and tear down, including placement of materials, avoiding tripping hazards such as cords/hand trucks/moving dollies, tools and equipment, etc. Packing debris, paper/ padding, or other discarded items will be removed from floor and aisle areas to minimize chances of accidents or injuries due to tripping, slipping, etc.
Health and Safety regulations require all attendees, vendors, and related personnel to have appropriate attire, including shirts and footwear. Persons lacking shirts or footwear will not be permitted entry to the Trade Show or other areas of the Convention Center."

I suggest that photos used for all PR/Marketing, etc. follow these or similar guidelines. If questions come up, the AAW Exhibitor Requirements for PPE for demo-ing and audience protection can be cited.

Further, For the AAW event in Raleigh, we will no doubt refer children to the official AAW children's area where they will have facilitator/instructor staff to assist. I do not expect it to be needed/necessary for our booth staff to provide very much hands-on instruction. The 1200 attendees are turners and we're not doing anything novel nor using 'new' products. Our focus is promoting the forum, not teaching woodturning skills.

If you have questions about the AAW presence, send me a PM. This thread is really meandering.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS