Outlets in the Floor-They Need to Go

Status
Not open for further replies.

BKind2Anmls

New User
Susan
OK. I admit I made a mistake. :eek:

When I built my shop I put outlets in the floor to reach the tools that will not be near a wall. I have both 110 and 220. I did not want to run extension cords. Now I have the predictable saw dust problem and it really worries me. Those little covers that you put over an outlet for children are not working.

I was thinking about doing the following:

1. Remove the existing floor outlet but leave the box attached to the joists.
2. Inside the box, wire nut a 2' extension to the existing wires. Run these wires up through a cover which will be sealed. (Any kind of special electrical-proof sealant necessary?)
3. Next to the old floor box mount a 4 x 4 block, 18" tall, screwed to the floor
4. Mount the outlet to the side of this box with one of those outdoor electrical covers on it.
5. Or, if the cabinet permits, mount the outdoor electrical box to the side of the cabinet. Of course, this would make moving the tools around later more of a problem.

Does anyone have any better ideas or see any problems with this procedure?

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Could you possibly try using an exterior outlet box.
+1. Home Depot, Lowe's etc. sell them too
b59d96af-b853-410d-878f-91c335629863_300.jpg

Of course, some 1/2" plywood, brads, glue and a grommet will accomplish the same thing.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
I would use a blank plate at the floor. Come out of that with a liquid-tight conduit to a metal box and outlet with standard cover. On the back of the box I would use magnetic tape to stick it to the cabinet or underside of the table. I would also use stranded wire for better flexibility

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
I built a wooden box recessed under the floor that holds an electrical junction box. The wood box has a hinged cover with a slot in it for the cords. Two pigtail cords with molded female ends are connected to the junction box.

Since the machine cords plug into cord receptacles instead of outlet receptacles they can't fill with dust. The hinged lid has a slot for the cords, so I can store excess TS and jointer cord in the box. Everything is extremely low profile.

(sorry no pics inside the box)

Floor box at lower right:

P5220034.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors