OSMO oil

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have been reading on a couple other sites about people using OSMO oil for finish. Another here have any experiences?

JohnnyR

John
Corporate Member
Hey Scott, I recently used it on a river table, Christmas "deer" and some banana holders (which Phil saw if you want another opinion). I couldn't be more pleased with it and I think it will be my go-to finish. Rubbed it on with some white Scotch Brite pads and wiped off with rags. Used a satin finish. Thought it a little pricey at first but you use so little of it that it's probably one of the cheaper finishes. The same product is used for floors so I assume it's very durable and scratches can be sanded out and the finish reapplied. No sanding between coats. Saw the woodcraft catalog and they are now selling it locally. Feel free to stop by if you're coming south.

JimD

Jim
Senior User
I have used the poly oil on several projects, most recently the top of my dining room table. I like it, I am on my second .75 liter can. I also used it on my bed and nightstands. I apply with a microfiber cloth I keep in the used poly oil can. I was surprised the first time I used it that it picks up a lot of dust during drying unless the environment is relatively free of dust. That meant I need to sand before the second coat which was not easy. It is surprisingly tough. It dries slowly, overnight. Only two coats are required which I simply wipe on. I use other finishes too but for my "fine furniture" I am using Osmo for the forseeable future. I haven't had to do it yet but I think it will also be easy to repair if necessary.

JohnnyR

John
Corporate Member
I have used the poly oil on several projects, most recently the top of my dining room table. I like it, I am on my second .75 liter can. I also used it on my bed and nightstands. I apply with a microfiber cloth I keep in the used poly oil can. I was surprised the first time I used it that it picks up a lot of dust during drying unless the environment is relatively free of dust. That meant I need to sand before the second coat which was not easy. It is surprisingly tough. It dries slowly, overnight. Only two coats are required which I simply wipe on. I use other finishes too but for my "fine furniture" I am using Osmo for the forseeable future. I haven't had to do it yet but I think it will also be easy to repair if necessary.
Jim, I wonder if you're not rubbing it out enough after applying. I have the antithesis of a dust free shop and did not have this problem.

JimD

Jim
Senior User
Maybe not. I haven't had the issue either after I started making sure the environment was reasonably dust free while the Osmo is drying. At first I treated it like water based and resumed making dust within an hour of application. That did not work out well for me. I rub off any visible accumulation but I am using a rag that is pretty well saturated with Osmo. So it doesn't remove everything but I don't think I want to remove everything.

wsrhue

wyattspeightrhue
User
I have used a few cans of Osmo. I really like the finish. My only complaint is that it hardens in the can after a while. I have switched to Saicos Hardwax Oil. It's very similar (Believe that the two companies where one at some point). It does not harden in the can though. As expensive as it is, it sucks to toss 1/4 of the can in the trash. I also highly recommend Bio Poly from Earthpaint.com made in Ashville. It's a great finish that uses pine resin, it smells wonderful.

smurg

New User
Marty
I have used a few cans of Osmo. I really like the finish. My only complaint is that it hardens in the can after a while. I have switched to Saicos Hardwax Oil. It's very similar (Believe that the two companies where one at some point). It does not harden in the can though. As expensive as it is, it sucks to toss 1/4 of the can in the trash. I also highly recommend Bio Poly from Earthpaint.com made in Ashville. It's a great finish that uses pine resin, it smells wonderful.

Only the top layer of the finish will gel and solidify and everything else underneath will be intact (which will still use up a bit of product). If you use it infrequently enough, you could buy some bloxygen to displace the oxygen.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS