Oscillating spindle sander trouble

Bigdog72

New User
Geoff
One of the casualties of my long layoff from shop work is my bench top OSS. It’s a Grizzly bench top model #G0538. i left a spindle on the machine and didn’t relieve the tension (loosen the nut) and now the spindle is stuck to the particle board top. The drive is working fine. Just can’t get the spindle off. I hate to ruin the spindle but I am thinking of cutting it with a chisel. Has anybody had an issue like this and any suggestions for getting it broken loose?

Attachments

• g0538_m.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 121

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Geoff I assume you are trying to unscrew the spindle from the machine. Did you try a heat gun or blow dryer on the nut the spindle screws into?

AllanD

Allan
Corporate Member
I may be dense but I don't understand the problem. What is stuck to the particle board top? Is the problem that you can't unscrew the spindle from the motor or you can't loosen the nut that expands the rubber roller to remove the sandpaper?

bowman

Board of Directors, Webmaster
Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
Use impact driver lightly to jostle the retaining nut

AllanD

Allan
Corporate Member
Gotcha. Mine is not a Ridgid but checking the direction of threads first is a good idea. Just watch when running, if turns counterclockwise then it has regular right hand threads. If it runs clockwise then has left hand.
Then I think it should have a spot on the motor shaft below the drum shaft with two flat spots for a wrench. Mine uses two different size wrenches. I would think big enough wrenches or a cheater pipe should work.

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
Gotcha. Mine is not a Ridgid but checking the direction of threads first is a good idea. Just watch when running, if turns counterclockwise then it has regular right hand threads. If it runs clockwise then has left hand.

Here’s another way of saying that. Generally, for arbor nuts and cap screws, loosen by wrenching in the normal rotation direction.

Bigdog72

New User
Geoff
Thanks for the input, guys. My wife got sick and I haven’t been able to get out to shop but that is my mission for tomorrow

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS