Options for Drilling Perfect 90 Degree Holes

Status
Not open for further replies.

harpone

New User
Harpone
I want to make some small boxes using little pin hinges from Lee Valley. I doubt my cheap HF drill press can accurately drill straight holes in thin wood. Other than spending more than $400 on a better drill press, what else can I do to install those hinges properly?

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I bought a machinists block square from one of the machine supply houses that has since folded but any Chinese made machine block square will do for woodwork. The tolerance is tighter than your drill press. So, line up the drill bit with the block, clamp the wood to the block and drill very slowly lifting out often and progressing slowly so the bit can drill straight instead of following the grain of the wood. Especially the first 1/2 inch drill less than 1/8 inch each cut. Then maybe a little more as you get deep enough for the hole to guide the bit.

Something like this but you may be able to find for less expense.

https://smile.amazon.com/Right-Angl...d=1523474005&sr=8-57&keywords=machinist+block

[FONT=&quot]Square and Parallel within 0.00025" of an inch[/FONT]

Last edited:

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
Take a wire coat hanger and cut out a straight piece. Then bend it into a Z shape, but with the vertical angled center leg straight up and down. Chuck on end of one leg into your drill press chuck. Lower the chuck till the wire just touches your table. Then slowly turn by hand your chuck. The end of the wire will tell you if your table is 90 degrees to the bit in all directions. Make table tilt adjustments till square.

Bear Republic

Steve
Corporate Member
I don't think this will be small enough but there might be something similar.
http://www.amazon.com/Milescraft-1312-Drill-Block/dp/B00F1ZJFZK
You might be able to make one the size you need. If you make it absolutely 90 degrees you can then drill multiples. I'm having a senior moment and can't remember what a round metal hollow pin is called :cool: , but that can be your drillguide in a block of hardwood.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS