Option to banish For Sale from the home page?

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I thought so - the reason the "for sale" threads is that XenForo does not have a classified piece of software, so it was decided to create the "for Sale" forum.. I had the opposite problem, I said the sales items were getting buried in the feed and suggested the "sidebar" where you could link to the various threads.
IIRC you can optout of any forum - I will leave it to smarter people than me to tell you how....

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
I think it would be great if a member were able to choose which forums that they would prefer to see. Not sure if the current software allows that to be implemented.

For me, I kind of like having the for sale items showing up on the 'What's New' page.

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
I thought so - the reason the "for sale" threads is that XenForo does not have a classified piece of software, so it was decided to create the "for Sale" forum.. I had the opposite problem, I said the sales items were getting buried in the feed and suggested the "sidebar" where you could link to the various threads.
IIRC you can optout of any forum - I will leave it to smarter people than me to tell you how....

If a member can indeed 'opt out' of any forum, that sounds like problem solved. If you don't want the for sale items in your feed, just opt out.
Does anyone know how to accomplish this,if it is indeed available?

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
I just did a quick search through user settings/preferences, et al and did not find a way to opt out of any particular forum.

bowman

Board of Directors, Webmaster
Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
There is an option for a forum group to NOT be included in the "What's New" listings, but I do not see any option for users to "opt out" of seeing forum posts.

Personally, having them show up as unread threads does not bother me.

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
There is an option for a forum group to NOT be included in the "What's New" listings, but I do not see any option for users to "opt out" of seeing forum posts.

Personally, having them show up as unread threads does not bother me.

I did not see that. Where is it?

bowman

Board of Directors, Webmaster
Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
So in the "off-topic" forum I see that I can opt-out, but I do not see that option in the other forum topics - a question for the administrators?

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
So in the "off-topic" forum I see that I can opt-out, but I do not see that option in the other forum topics - a question for the administrators?
View attachment 186796

I just clicked on the opt-out link in the Off Topic forum. Got a file not found message/page. That may have been an option from the old site that has not been implemented here.

toolman

Administrator
Chad
Hank, I believe opt-out can be do to any forum but a Admin must do it for you. and the member can not turn it on and off as they please a Admin would have to do it..

nn4jw

New User
Jim
I just clicked on the opt-out link in the Off Topic forum. Got a file not found message/page. That may have been an option from the old site that has not been implemented here.

I opted out of the Off Topic forum on the old site and do not see it on the new site so it appears that the functionality to hide a forum exists here. Possibly the code to perform the opt out hasn't been implemented or just needs a "fix"?

toolman

Administrator
Chad

Mark, is right that was on the old site, may not work on the new one.

toolman

Administrator
Chad
The Off Topic forum is set in the (Secondary user groups ) it has to be checked to have be able to see it and only Admins can change it.

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
GOOD GRIEF ! Hey folks we having a working site. Remember when the whole site went belly up? Count our blessings and find something a little more important to grump about.

Pop :confused:

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
GOOD GRIEF ! Hey folks we having a working site. Remember when the whole site went belly up? Count our blessings and find something a little more important to grump about.

Good point Pop!
But now it is time to make the new site our own and make it function like we want it to.

Jeff

New User
Jeff

I agree! On the right side of my page I only see 6 listings today. It's not obtrusive.

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I agree! On the right side of my page I only see 6 listings today. It's not obtrusive.
remember he is not talking about the "Classifieds section" (Latest for sale listings) Ron created, but the posts being in thread listing when you click on "Home" or "What's new"

marinosr

Richard
Corporate Member
It was a suggestion for a way to improve the site, not a complaint, and you wouldn't have to use the feature if you didn't want to. Last time I suggest any way to improve anything around here, I promise you that.

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
It was a suggestion for a way to improve the site, not a complaint, and you wouldn't have to use the feature if you didn't want to. Last time I suggest any way to improve anything around here, I promise you that.
Don't be upset Richard - it was a Great suggestion and one that should be available - many people have asked how to not see the off-topic forum as it typically does not deal with woodworking, so that forum and the "For Sale" forum may be ones other people would like to "opt out" Thank you for your suggestion, it is appreciated!

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS