Opinions please, kitchen design

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ecr1

Chuck
Senior User
There is Wurth wood group in Raleigh and Charlotte. I know both are some distance away you can get decent pricing and good selection. also check with some of the local cabinet shops to see where they buy from. Most don't have A problem talking about material with woodworkers.

bobsmodels

Bob
Senior User
From the layout I cannot tell where your trash container is located. Is it a slide out? When doing prep or loading a dishwasher the a slide out is handy near the sink. In our kitchen if you stand at the sink doing prepping the slide out is to right so you can just drop things in. The dishwasher is next to it so it can be open and trash open at same time for loading.

Bob

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
From the layout I cannot tell where your trash container is located. Is it a slide out? When doing prep or loading a dishwasher the a slide out is handy near the sink. In our kitchen if you stand at the sink doing prepping the slide out is to right so you can just drop things in. The dishwasher is next to it so it can be open and trash open at same time for loading.

Bob

Thanks, right next to the sink on the left there is a 2 x 35 gallon slide out trash assembly.

cfield60

jeff
User
Roy's Wood Products in Lugoff, SC. I believe they deliver but I'm not certain how far they'll go. They have good quality at reasonable prices.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Thanks everyone.

I am going to miss my old pantry, but after pondering this and listening to all of you the pantries will go. Those corners lend themselves to some nice cabinet ideas, including corner cabinets right up to the ceiling.
So, back to the drawing board.

Those who responded, some interesting information. The software does cost based on current sheet goods prices and lumber prices which I updated and then all the hardware such as hinges, slides etc. As drawn, only sheet goods, 3/4 Maple pre-finished one side 1/4" Maple pre-finished both sides, a little Cherry ply and the Cherry lumber came to $2,088. Looks like the prices for purchased cabinets are labor, overheads, margin and distribution and the expensive granite counter tops. Spraying the face frames and doors, the finish materials will probably be less than $100.

We did the pantry in ours, and so far it has been great. It is 32" wide, 33" deep cabinet with heavy weight slides for the slide out shelves. So far it has been great. I at first thought it was going to be too big, but it fits in nicely as we no longer have a separate room pantry.

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
Got the bar done. 14 sheets of plywood. Bottom toe rail not shown, and the top connecting bridge is for hanging wine glasses.

The biggest challenge here was using space to hide an under counter beverage fridge in the bar, then fitting it all into this little room.

Lots of space for mirrors.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Bar.jpg
    Bar.jpg
    199.8 KB · Views: 138

Bear Republic

Steve
Corporate Member
Looks good to belly up to. I like the wine rack on the end. No little keg and tap? Other the that you should be well served with the design.

JohnnyR

John
Corporate Member
It's hard to judge with this 2d view but it looks to me that the bridge will really close in an already small space. I'd think about removing it and hang the wine glasses under the wall shelves - assuming you don't have more than a dozen or two to hang they might look underwhelming under the bridge. Will also be a challenge as to how to deal with the columns as now it looks like you lifted a table and set it on the counter. The sink is in an awkward position tho it's good use of an otherwise almost dead corner. The wine rack looks like solid compartments, only drawback would be that it's a dust collector, double lattice is easier to clean. Do contributors to your project get a free night at the bar?

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
It's hard to judge with this 2d view but it looks to me that the bridge will really close in an already small space. I'd think about removing it and hang the wine glasses under the wall shelves - assuming you don't have more than a dozen or two to hang they might look underwhelming under the bridge. Will also be a challenge as to how to deal with the columns as now it looks like you lifted a table and set it on the counter. The sink is in an awkward position tho it's good use of an otherwise almost dead corner. The wine rack looks like solid compartments, only drawback would be that it's a dust collector, double lattice is easier to clean. Do contributors to your project get a free night at the bar?

Yep, the sink is not in an ideal spot in the drawing, but there is room to make it more comfy in the build using dead space. This is the last one I did, pretty much the same, but you see it from standing on the floor.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Bar P.jpg
    Bar P.jpg
    895.3 KB · Views: 153

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
First, I would make the pantries match the cabs. Yes, you'll have the extra work but it will look much better IMO.

The corner units you have there really break up the kitchen and present come pretty big issues making it work efficiently is the problem. Lazy susans are the obvious option, but IMO the worst. Pull outs are best, but in a corner its very difficult and space wasting.

I would go all the way to the corners w/ cabinets will tie the kitchen together and free up space to put a pantry unit on one of the walls. One 36" wide pantry should be plenty big enough.

Another option for corner pantry would be narrow units (14-16") with pull outs at 45°. You will loose a little corner space, but have a better functioning unit.

Couple other suggestion: 1) a sink with disposal and high water spout for pot is quite handy in an island you have plenty of room to do that. 2) do away with those two uppers next to the sink and replace with open shelves or hanging baskets/plants.

Last but not least 3) I hired a kitchen designer to go over my layout before actually building my kitchen. You have to find one that doesn't want to sell you the cabinets, tho. Boy did she save me a couple big headaches!! Well worth the money on a project this big.

JimD

Jim
Senior User
Maybe you know the depth of your fridge and it is close to the cabinets as shown but our is not. Ours is at least 30 inches deep. If your's really is too, I would flip it's position to the other end of that run. Right now it will block entry into the kitchen, somewhat, and on the other end of that run it would not. Plus it would give you a nice tight triangle with the cooktop and sink. Ours is a Whirlpool and only needed a couple inches of side clearance.

We redid ours last year and bought cabinets - my wife would not even consider me making them - it would take too long. Ours are similar in color, however. KraftMaid. She went with 30 inch + 12 inch uppers. The 12 inchuppers have bubble glass doors. 42 inch cabinets or mixed height cabinets like you show, would have been significantly less. But she wants the extra space, even if it means using a step stool (I can reach into the uppers a bit but she cannot without the stool). We used light granite counters, however. I had dark green granite in the last house and liked it for hiding stains but the kitchen is lighter with the light granite. So far stains are not an issue (the installer sealed it). I paid extra for plywood boxes but even so they are lightly built. But they work fine.

We went with bar handles. If you like that style, please at least look at the hollow ones. You have to buy them in quantity but they cost close to $1 each versus closer to $5 for the solid. Once they are installed you cannot tell the difference. At least I got to save a little there....

gritz

New User
Robert
Use as many wide, deep drawers or pullouts as you can. Cabinets with doors are a dark hole in comparison.
Build a pantry cabinet with pull-out shelves...two if you want to use one for appliances.
The mixer-lift is a pretty pricey piece of hardware and takes most of one cabinet.
Use a standard fridge and pull the framing and cabinets forward to give a built-in look.
Look at some of the motion or touch faucets. We love ours.
Get a big sink. If you don't cringe when you pay for it, it's not big enough. I also have a smaller one near the stove so I can use it while I'm cooking and my bride is using the big one.
Quartz beats granite, and probably won't look as dated when the "next big thing" comes out.
Extend the island top with seating for a midnight snacking area?
Use LED under-cabinet lighting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS