Opinions/Feedback Wanted

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeorgeL

New User
George
I'm staying out of the configuration game George, but I've got to say that your shop is going to be great. The selection of tools are wonderful. I do have one question though......What were you thinking when you said that you didn't have much for a shop crawl:rotflm:. You're going to make a bunch of us cry when we see it:lol:.

Good luck,
Jimmy:)

Jimmy,

I appreciate your comments and encouragement. It's just that at this point the shop is so new it's more like a collection of tools than a working shop.

George

GeorgeL

New User
George
Personally, I like a workbench to be out in the open versus along one wall. Being able to get to all sides of a project (for glueing, clamping, etc) can be beneficial.

Scott,

I agree. I'm hoping the outfeed/assembly table will fill that need. If not I may need to build a break-down assembly table for those occasions.

George

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
George:

Be careful, once you start using an outfeed table as an assembly table it becomes difficult to use the TS as the assembly materials are in the way.

Doug

PurpleThumb

New User
Jerry
Doug,

I moved the jointer to the wall with the SCMS. My only concern is the space between the jointer and table saw when working. The dust collector will not fit behind the door, plus I need to keep it deeper into the shop to minimize noise into the house.

Bas,

I swapped the drill press and router table. Now that I see it, it make a lot of sense to me. I will take a look at using the workbench space for machines but it would require quite a bit of re-wiring.

Workshop_3-27-08_2.jpg

Thank you both for your input.

Anything else? Anyone else?

George

combine the router table and the Tablesaw estension and I agree with this layout. It gives the ability of long material plus putting the prep functions together

GeorgeL

New User
George
combine the router table and the Tablesaw estension and I agree with this layout. It gives the ability of long material plus putting the prep functions together

I know it makes sense but I'm sorry I can't do that. The router table and the workbench are the only two items I got from my Dad's shop after he passed away last year, 1 year ago yesterday as a matter of fact.

I restored the workbench, which he built over 50 years ago, and I have improved the router table with a new top, fence and lift, but the router table stays. I may add a second one to the table saw extension table if I find the need.

I guess I really should have listed out the rules of engagement before starting this thread huh?

Thanks,

George

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Jealous of the space and the tools is all I can say.

Like one of the earlier posts mentioned, I like 3 or 4 sided access to my workbench. So I'd consider rotating the bench 90 degrees and pulling it away from the wall a bit. That does not impede work flow with stationary tools, but gives you that 4 sides access (if you have enough room on both sides there, I think you do). You'll have better access to any wall mounted cabinets or pegboards on that lower wall that way. I would also swap the locations of the jorgie rack and the tool cabinet.

After that I'd make something!

Henry

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
George:

"I have improved the router table with a new top, fence and lift" reminds me of the old joke:

This knife has been in my family for 8 generations, the blade has been replaced 5 times and the handle 6. :gar-La;

I understand your wanting to keep your Dad's stuff. Your sons will appreciate them too.

Doug

GeorgeL

New User
George
George:

"I have improved the router table with a new top, fence and lift" reminds me of the old joke:

This knife has been in my family for 8 generations, the blade has been replaced 5 times and the handle 6. :gar-La;

I understand your wanting to keep your Dad's stuff. Your sons will appreciate them too.

Doug

OK, now I need to explain. :wink_smil My oldest brother originally took the router table, along with all the other machines, when finally I got it back, parts of the fence were missing, he hacked a larger hole in the top for his home made router plate the top was badly warped and covered in paint.
:gar-Cr

So I kept the cabinet my Dad made and modernized the working components.

George

LeeNC

New User
Lee
With your last layout, you could put some lumber storage behind and kind of above the jointer. Sheets good could be on side just off of the floor and boards on a rack higher on the wall. Should be able to do it such that the Woodmaster would not have interference issues either.
LeeNC

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Travis,

In this configuration (the one that I am currently moving to) there will be 12' from the edge of the table saw rail to the front of the bench.

Your thoughts?

George

Workshop_3-27-08_4.jpg

Shop layout is something I never quite get right. I would like to rearrange mine some right now, but I seem to have acquired equipment to big for my shop.

The 12 ft from the bench to the saw is a lot of space IMO. When I had a cabinet saw, I had my workbench around 4 to 5 ft from the saw and used it as an infeed table when necessary. Worked well IMO.

Another thought (at least for me) is that I like having my CMS near my bench. That way, it is convenient to do those slight trims and cuts that need to happen.

I don't know, but for some reason it seems your bench is "isolated" from the rest of your floor machinery to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS